Friday, July 14, 2017

The Next Adventure

I stand at a crossroads. One chapter of my life ended. The next chapter not yet written and unknown. Life thus far has been an adventure. The word adventure means:

verb [no objectdated engage in hazardous and exciting activity, especially the exploration of unknown territory: they had adventured into the forest.


That is what is before me. It is both exciting and hazardous. Instead of hazardous I would use the word risky. Everything hinging on the call and commands of God. Each step of journey built on the foundation of God's faithfulness and faith. God's invitation to explore the unknown with Him and to possess new territory for Him. 

I have been following God in faith steps for three decades now. There are familiar patterns. I get a clear direction from God. Many times I either deny God's invitation or rationalize why it is risky and illogical. When the invitation persists, backed by scripture and deep conviction of the Holy Spirit, then a decision must be made. Obedience or disobedience. Faith or fear. For me that decision was made years ago. I resolved to take those faith steps no mater how outlandish they might appear. 

Still I get nervous. My pulse quickens. I have to pray through for the courage to follow through. Often I even ask God for confirmation in addition to the original invitation. God has graciously given me this extra reassurance multiple times. 

Then it all comes down to obedience. Like God telling Abram to go to the land that God would show him. God spoke. Abram heard. Abram obeyed by faith. Genesis 12:1 (ESV) 
1  Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. 

Hebrews gives a little more light on this. Hebrews 11:8 (ESV) 
8  By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.


Abram obeyed by faith. He trusted God and the call of God on his life to follow. This is easier said than done. To obey God by faith means stepping into an adventure where you do not see the outcome and only have the call of God and His promises for assurance. These are scary steps if you look with human eyes and think of all the things that could go wrong. 

Abram just obeyed God. His confidence was not in himself. His entire confidence was in God. His trust in God triumphed faith over fear. He just did it. Too many Christians hide behind fear. They prefer comfort and security to adventure. As I understand my relationship with God, I do not get to choose the path. He determines the course and I am to follow where He leads. 

The miraculous work of God in my life has always been on the other side of His invitations to step out in faith. Like holding the revival in Seminole that went on for 23 straight days. Like the time He told me to trust Him for provision after CentrePointe Community Church disbanded. Like when He called me to leave FBC Paradise to go to FBC Seminole. Like calling me to go to Kermit to hold tent revival meetings. 

The adventure continues in other ways as well. In what I believe to be a clear leading from God to trust Him, followed by the peace that surpasses all understanding, I stepped down from serving as pastor of Faith Community Church. I do not have another church to go serve. I have no job waiting in the wings. I know I am to go to Kermit at the end of next week. Beyond that I don't know what is next. It is the next chapter in the adventure. So I step out on faith. I choose the path of obedience and adventure. While I may not be able to see the future I can predict the outcome. 

God will prove faithful again. He will open doors. He will provide for my family. I will write and preach about His faithfulness and the great adventure of following Him. Stay tuned. I am betting the next chapter will be more exciting and adventurous as the previous chapters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment