Friday, July 28, 2017

Kermit Shake The City - Day 5

The thermometer read 104 at 6:15 last night. The wind blew pretty hard again. It has never felt unbearable under the tent any night. God has been gracious to us in that respect. Earlier this summer Kermit had an entire week of temperatures around 105. I count ourselves blessed this week.

We worshipped last night in english and spanish. While I did not know the spanish words I did enjoy listening especially to Great Is Thy Faithfulness. At one point I stopped sining and listened. I heard several of the children singings with beautiful voices. Such worship blessed my heart. Such pure, unreserved worship had to honor God. God has received praise this week.

The message burned on my heart last night was about prayer and faith. Again we dove into the scriptures enthusiastically. We ended our time praying for several different needs of the people. We prayed for healing. We prayed for God to give an addition to a family. We also prayed for the children of a family moving to West Virginia in about a week. We asked God to give them new friends. We prayed for lost family members.

I had the chance to share several testimonies of answered prayers and the way God provided for the tent for our meetings. In hindsight when I look at al God has done in my life in answer to prayer I am humbled and unworthy. I love to testify of His faithfulness. I think back to Sherman and Tammy leading us in two songs that captured that theme last night. How Great Is Our God. Great Is Thy Faithfulness. That sums it up. God has been faithful.

If I took the time just to write about all the ways He has provided this week alone the blog would be lengthy. Suffice it to say we have not walked alone. We have paid cash for the tent, hotel rooms, gas, and our meals have either been provided by someone or we had the cash to buy them. Our hotel serves a full breakfast every morning. Blessing on top of blessing. When I finally got back to my room last night I had a text from Miguel inviting the Atens and me to their house for lunch. Blessing on top of blessing. Praise and glory to Jehovah. He is sufficient and an ample provider.

My faith has been stretched on this adventure but I have not found my Heavenly Father never lacking. He has walked with us every step of this journey. He has revealed Himself through music. He has shown us His character through His word. He has encouraged our faith. He has renewed our trust in Him.

I left home nine days ago on this adventure. While I knew the broad plan I also knew every day would have new twists and turns. I could not have known how deeply we would fall in love with Miguel and Misti and their six children. We have spent more time with them than any of the other attendees. They have been a greater blessing to us than we could have possibly been to them.

My heart goes out to the pastors who live and labor in Kermit. They labor in the midst of an oilfield town where the money flows plentiful and so do the drugs, immorality, and other sins. These faithful servants of the Lord love their flocks and proclaim the gospel week after week. They have planted their lives, their families, and their hearts in this west Texas town. They preach their hearts out. They pray fervently and unceasingly. Often times without seeing the results immediately. They do not give up. They press on. They need all of our prayers to keep fighting the good fight. I met one such pastor from the Church of God who has devoted a decade of his life in this community. May he and all the fellow pastors keep running the race set before them with endurance not getting entangled and tripped but looking to Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith.

I am humbled to play a very small role in the overall landscape of what God has done, is doing, and will do in the future of Kermit, TX. Once again I ask you to pray for Kermit.


No comments:

Post a Comment