Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Kermit Shake The City - Day 2

When I arrived at the tent around 6:45 my heart sunk. Sherman and Tammy were there. Miguel was also there. Only three people.

Miguel's family came a little later. So did a guy named Juan and his wife Vicky. Both Juan and Miguel are true servants. Each night they have helped set up the sound system and then take it down to store it. I have grown to love these brothers. Both are humble men.. They have been a blessing to me.

The Carters came from Seminole  before we started. An older gentleman showed up a little late. I learned after the service when he came and shook my hand, his name is Dudley Mullins, the pastor of First Baptist Church here in Kermit. In all we only had 17 people in attendance. It did not feel like a revival meeting. The Atens brought us before the throne of God in worship. Without us ever talking many of the songs went right along with the message I had.

I prayed as to what to do. Standing before such a small crowd and preaching did not seem appropriate. I decided instead of preaching the message I would teach it in a Bible study format. We circled the chairs and I taught the truth. I asked questions and got feedback. 17 of us gathered under a tent that could easily seat 200 holding a Bible study. The texts were John 3:20-21 and John 15:18-27. The whole point of the message focused on how the world has always hated Jesus from the time He was born and King Herod wanted to kill Him. The hatred continued with the religious leaders of the day. The world detested Jesus back then and nothing has changed today.

Jesus is a threat to sinners because He brings evil deeds into the light. He exposes sin and calls people into account. He is a threat to the worldly system and its mixed up priorities and morality standards. While some are trying to rewrite the moral code of right and wrong, Jesus stands forever true on the law of God's moral code. He does not give into political pressure. He does not bow to the prevailing public opinions of the day. He is a threat and the world hates Him.

Jesus's teachings are a threat. His miracles are a threat. His death and resurrection are a threat. He is threat to the religious who prefer ritual and routines over relationship. Religious people fight for control as they bind heavy burdens on people through legalism. Jesus rebuked the religious people of His day. He does the same today. He is a threat to their status quo.

Likewise, His true followers are hated on this earth as well. We are also a threat. In the last decade over 900,000 Christians have been murdered for their faith. Let that sink in. 900,000. Do the math.That is 90,000 people a year. Just shy of the populations of Odessa, TX. That is 15 times the size of Kermit. Each year. Followers of Jesus brutally, savagely, tortured, and horrifically slaughtered.

The world hates Jesus because He is a threat. The world hates Jesus' followers because we are a threat to the status quo. So they killed Jesus. They persecute His followers. Yet, the kingdom of God keeps expanding. In nations like China, North Korea, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, India, Iraq, Syria, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The fame of Jesus keeps expanding. The dedication of His followers, even in the middle of threats, violence, and death does not deter His true ones from spreading the gospel message.

In the midst of such hostility Jesus still changes lives. He still uses people as His instruments of change. Even if there were only 17 of us gathered under that tent studying His truth.

We ended the evening by dividing into two groups to pray for Kermit and anything else we felt prompted to pray for. I ended up praying with the Carters. They also had a friend from the Ukraine with them. The highlight of the evening fell on that prayer meeting. Mike and Julie prayed. Katcha prayed in her native tongue. Though I did not understand the words I did understand her heart. Kross prayed. Channing prayed. I concluded our prayer time.

I want Jesus to get more of all of us. I want Him to consume our deepest passions, capture our imaginations, and fill our hearts with the deepest affections for Him.

I did not leave the tent defeated last night. I left upbeat. Sure having only 17 disappointed me. I have known all along I could not control the attendance. I am supposed to be here and I will do the work put before me. No matter the size of the crowd or the offerings.

I remembered a story I relayed to Miguel as we packed up for the evening. Duncan Campbell got invited to preach a revival meeting in a small town. The first few meetings were lackluster at best. After one such meeting Campbell and the pastor were about to walk out of the building when they were stopped by a young man who said, "The Holy Spirit is hovering over us and is about to breakthrough. Stay and pray with me."

They prayed. Nobody knows for sure how long those three interceded. They were interrupted in those prayers some time later by a knock on the back doors. When they opened the door they were surprised to see most of the town gathered outside. Though the hour was late they had all been drawn to come to the building.

What followed is the tale of another miracle revival story. Many were saved true revival broke out and spread.

When I awoke this morning my heart continued to be weighed down for Kermit. I wonder if the Holy Spirit is brooding over Kermit even as I write this. I wonder if He is hovering waiting to breakthrough at any minute. This is not the time to lose heart. This is the time to go back to war in prayer. This is the time to preach with more conviction, more anointing, and more passion. This is the time to double down on why we are here. I did not come to Kermit for some meetings. I came to Kermit to see Jesus start a revolution that sweeps through the town. No time to have a pity party. There is much work to be done before we gather under the tent again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment