Thursday, July 20, 2017

23 Days- Revival Part 7

Even as I write this it is hard for me to believe we met for 23 straight days. The church marque said it all. “Shake The City Revival Continues.
Sherman and Tammy had to leave to go to another scheduled meeting. They returned after that meeting and picked up where they left off. Our worship pastor, Sean Decker and our musicians stepped in. We did not miss a beat. The revival was not about personalities. It was about God reaching down to kiss Seminole in a very special way.
Those services lasted for two to three hours each night. People kept showing up. I kept asking God if we were trying to manipulate something. Such was not the case. God touched us. The people kept hungering for more.
A few from other churches attended some of the meetings. One guy heard about what God was doing and drove one hour from Odessa to attend the services. He came back one other time with a few people from his church.
For twenty-three days I prayed and I pleaded for another message. At some point during that day God inspired a new message. Sometimes it was early in the morning. At other times I did not receive the message until late in the afternoon. I studied. I prayed some more. Each afternoon a couple of hours before the service began I went home to rest briefly,  shower, and change clothes. I returned to the church  for a prayer meeting with a several men before the services. Then we pursued God in worship and through His word night after night.
Looking back I stand amazed that God kept giving me fresh messages. Twenty-six in all over that span over those 23 days, when you count in the two sermons for the three Sundays with two services on those days.
Each sermon had a different feel. Each sermon addressed something different. We never knew exacly what God would do from night to night.There were many nights of repentance as God refined His bride. Some nights were evangelistic. Some nights were encouraging. In hindsight so much of that time feels like a blur. 
The longer we kept meeting my prayers were directed in a couple of different directions. I wanted the Lord to keep moving and the work to spread well beyond our church. I also wanted to be sensitive that we not prolong the meetings longer than God intended.
When the Atens finished their ministry in the other church they returned to minister among us again. The transition seemed seamless. God used their music to stir our souls. Like I already said, I have never heard such singing .
One song they led us to sing became an anthem of the revival. “I Will Never Be The Same Again.” We sang that song multiple times over those days. Another song God used in a special way was “Days Of Elijah.” To this day if I ever hear those songs I am taken back in my mind to those revival days.
I could go on writing trying to describe in detail what happened during all those days. It would fail. Though it is an old cliché I am only able to say you would have had to be there.
I have been a pastor for nearly twenty-one years. Those days are still the highlight of my entire 

ministry. I did not take those days for granted then and I cherish their memory now. 

Twenty-three days when God came down and kissed Seminole in a very special way. 
     
        I know pastors who have prayed more than me, labored harder than me, preached with 

more fire and anointing than me but they have never tasted revival like we enjoyed back in the

summer of 2010. Those who experienced those days enjoy a special bond. That revival did not

touch everyone. It did not even revive every member of First Baptist Seminole. It did transform

many lives. A group of ladies began meeting early in the mornings to pray during that revival. A 

number continue those prayer meetings to this day. 

          I still enjoy a special bond with the Atens.  They were my first choice to lead the worship at 

the Kermit Shake The City meetings. I will never forget those 23 days. Yet I am not satisfied. 

I am not content to live on what God did in the past when I know we need the same things in 

other communities ad churches all over the land. 

       With all this in mind I am packing my bags later today to head west for what I hope and pray 

is another mighty move of God in west Texas. I am packing in preparation to stay longer than 

the scheduled meetings for six days. I am prepared to stay 23 days or longer. We only have the 

tent until July 31.  If God wants the meetings to continue He will provide the place for the 

another meeting spot. I prepare to leave later today on a great adventure. 

        What God did in Seminole back in 2010 He is more than capable of doing in Kermit the 

summer of 2017. For four years I have devoted much prayer for Kermit. Now it is time. The first 

meeting is only 3 days away. I feel like a racehorse in gates before the start of a race. I leave 

today not knowing what all awaits and all the different ways I will encounter God. I go with 

nothing to offer but Jesus, God's words, my prayers, and the messages God gives me. Ready or

not Kermit here I come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment