Wednesday, July 19, 2017

How It All Began In Seminole - Revival Part 1

The summer of 2008 I had what I like to call a train wreck experience with God. I was preaching a youth camp in east Texas praying in my room one evening after the service. The Lord asked me if I would be wiling to leave the church I pastored to follow Him.
I recall laughing out loud. I loved the flock I served. We had seen God do much. The church grew 300% in the four years I served there. I had no intentions of leaving ever. The Lord’s question startled me. Then it dawned on me. I considered this a test. The way I figured this whole thing was a test. If I would be willing to leave God would see my heart and leave me in the church I loved so and found such contentment. .
The next morning I went to a prayer grove on the camp grounds. I gave God my yes confident nothing would come of it. That was a train wreck experience. I say that because the whole incident was unsettling.My comfortable world was shaken and my plans left in doubt. 
Time passed. From time to time I was reminded of the train wreck experience. Especially when I heard anything about following God or surrendering to God. I would think about that train wreck experience in east Texas. I could not shake it. God was up to something but I did not know what it was.
In the Spring of 2009 I was invited to preach a youth weekend for First Baptist in Seminole. The church did not have a pastor. I preached Friday night and the Lord moved. Saturday morning was powerful too. Saturday afternoon I had my world rocked again.
The youth minister met me at the place I was staying and told me many people were talking about me and interested in my visiting wiith search committee about becoming a candidate for the pastor position. The whole conversation shook me again. I told the youth minister I was not interested in leaving the church where I served as pastor.
When he left I could not shake the train wreck experience mixed with his conversation. It brought me to a crisis. I spent the rest of the afternoon praying. One scripture pounded in my heart and mind.
Romans 12:1 (ESV)
1  I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Even though I submitted the messages I would preach in advance for that weekend I changed the one for Saturday night. I preached from Romans 12:1. I preached more to myself than anyone of the couple of hundred of people in that room. When I gave the invitation so many students came forward I could not get off the stage. I noticed a set of stairs by the organ. I walked down there and knelt. Tis is what I prayed. “Lord, if nobody in this room really means laying their down as an offering to You I mean it. If You want to move my family to First Baptist Church Seminole, TX I give you my yes. I will come serve here if you call me.”
To shorten the story the church called me and the Sunday before school started in August my family moved to Seminole, TX. We rolled into town early that evening and school started the next day. We hit the ground running and never slowed down.
Early on I heard about these city wide prayer meetings called “Community Prayer Room.” At one time they were held in a community room. When I came to town they lost the community room and started rotating the prayer meetings at the different local congregations. The prayer meetings were held on Thursdays from 11-1. It was a come and go meeting.
Some time passed before I attended my first meeting. Our church was hosting it so I went down. A few people were meeting in our prayer room already praying when I arrived. I stopped short of going in because everyone I heard praying in that room were women and I did not want to be the only man. I bowed outside the door praying alone. Then I heard something I believe meant for my ears as well as God’s though nobody in the prayer room knew I was even there.
One lady prayed, “And Lord you know the prophesy that a great revival would come to Seminole through First Baptist Church.”
I recall that moment vividly even though that happened nearly seven years ago. I left before anyone knew I was there. That prophesy about a revival coming through First Baptist Church intrigued me.At least for awhile.

To be honest I forgot about the whole thing. I busied myself with pastoral ministry. Study. Hospital visitation. Meetings. I attended the Community Prayer Room often. Not every week. I attended regularly and tried to make those prayer meetings a priority. We will have to wait for the next blog to get the rest of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment