Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Revival – Rebellion on the High Seas Jonah 1

I awoke abruptly with the message of Jonah on my mind early this morning. In and out of sleep from that point on I kept sensing that the lost and Christians who are in rebellion are running from God just like Jonah tried to flee. I keep seeing this mental picture of God pursuing people and nipping at the souls of the lost and backslidden alike. I knew what I was to preach before I ever got out of bed.

The message pounded in my mind so much I finally got ready for church and came to the office. Before I made three blocks from my house I was convicted about a movie series the Lord wanted me to get rid of. It is the Rocky series of movies. God convicted me last night to get rid of them because of the language in them. Instead of continuing on to the church like I was tempted to do, I turned around and grabbed the movies. They were deposited in a dumpster far from our house. I do not want anything to hinder God from moving in my life.

I am so desperate for God to move that I do not want anything in my life to hinder Him. In fact, I asked myself that question last night and felt prompted to ask our whole staff the same question. “Is there anything in your life that would hinder God from moving in this revival?” I asked the entire worship team that same question before we started the service this morning. I asked the entire church the same question before we started the service and game them time to repent. Many people felt awkward as we sat in complete silence for the first few minutes to start the Sunday morning service.

Like few other services in this revival I felt an earnestness and deep burden for that particular service. I knew the Lord meant business. The time for playing church games is long past.

I alternated between singing and praying. When it came time to preach I felt like a man on a mission. The truth of God’s word burned in me like molten lava. I had great faith that the Lord would move among us powerfully. God’s conviction of the lost and the backslidden could be felt. There was no noise. There was no movement except for one couple who got up early and walked out of the service.

God’s word pierced. I could see people ducking their heads under conviction, squirming in their seats, and with that far off look wishing they were somewhere else. The challenge called for people to repent and obey the Lord. God’s word reiterated the truth that we cannot flee the presence of the Lord. I know God spoke that through message and I know it was a timely message. God nipped at the souls of people for the entire length of the message. I truly believed God would breakthrough.

When the invitation was extended, a teenage girl and her parents were the only ones to respond publicly. It sure felt like the majority of the church resisted and rebelled against the Lord today. Two men gave testimonies at the end but the wind seemed sucked out the sails. I am increasingly convinced the majority of FBC members do not want revival. While a remnant continue to want more of God I cannot say with confidence that same sentiment is felt by the whole church.

I wish I could report differently. I determined early on in these blogs I would report the truth and not try to exaggerate the facts to make it appear God was doing more than was actually happening. So here we are on day 22 and the church by and large appeared to have rejected and rebelled against the Lord today. God have mercy. There will be sleepless nights and

No comments:

Post a Comment