Monday, August 16, 2010

Revival – Mighty To Save

There was no down time in between services yesterday. After enjoying lunch with the revival team I came back to my office to start preparing for the Sunday evening message. I was drawn to [Is 29:13] and [Matt 15:7-8]. The afternoon flew by. Before I knew it was time to meet for prayer.

We have been gathering for prayer each afternoon or evening before the services. We saw the largest number of attendees yesterday. Our conference room filled with the fragrance of intercession. In essence, most of our prayers centered on crying out to God for more His glory and work in this community.

We walked into the sanctuary afterward to see another full house. There were three more baptisms (two being a husband and wife.) We also enjoyed two testimonies. I have lost track of how many have been baptized since the revival began. I just know God is mighty to save. God’s work has no slackened. Over and over yesterday I received input from people about the revival not ending and to continue pressing on. There is still more work to be done.

Sherman and Tami were anointed once again. Their daughter Brooke helps them as well. They are a true gift from God. I see Sherman with a distant gaze when we eat and always wonder what goes through His mind. I know he wrestles with the Lord about their role in this revival and how long they are to stay. God has used them to prepare hearts to receive the word of the Lord.

God is energizing the worship. Over and over again I am amazed at the volume of the voices lifting their praises to God. We have sang songs that are several hundred years old as well as singing songs that have just been written. Last night we sang a song written out of a revival in Belfast, Ireland.

The presence of God is noticeable. At times I just sit and listen. I do not know how long these days will last but I want to cherish them. I keep feeling I must write a book about all of this when God has accomplished His purposes in this revival. I have had to really sit down and think about what revival costs. Sherman and Tami have a price to pay. So do all who have given up nights at home in front of the television to come seek more of God. I see a collision coming in getting to watch Taylor at his scrimmage this Thursday night. I see no signs of the revival slowing down. All of this is happening during football season is presenting an interesting dynamic. The bottom line for me is I want more of God. I may never see another move of God like this in my lifetime. While God has opened Heaven above us I want to give myself to this revival. My energy level is still high each night after two weeks.

I know we are being prayed for. A group of ladies meets early in the morning to pray specifically for me. I feel their prayers and God’s supernatural enabling. It is humbling to know the sacrifice those ladies are making to stand in the gap for me and for this town.

I preached an evangelistic message last night. God once again showed Himself mighty to save. Several responded to God’s call last night. Numbers are not important in this season. All I can say is God continues to save the lost. He continues to draw the wayward to repentance. I am not saying we have seen dozens saved each night. I can say God continues to work though. I have no idea how many decisions have been made since the start of this revival. All I can say is the baptismal waters are continually being stirred.

One lady came to me after the service yesterday morning to tell me God is working outside the walls of the church. The gospel message is being spread at work and among families. We don’t know all that God is doing. We can’t see His deep work beneath the surface. Her encouragement to me included not focusing on numbers or even the attendance each night.

A friend of mine felt prompted to tell me one way this work can spread beyond Seminole is through these blogs. More specifically he said I needed to challenge more people to comment on the blogs. For those of you who have attended the revival I want to ask you to do that. As you read these, would you take the time to jot down your comments? I hear people are reading these all over the state. Your perspective could be used of God to help our brothers and sisters all over Texas and eventually all over the world. So please take some time to post your comments. If you have trouble figuring that out, talk to Tami Waller or Tim Shirley. They can give you some pointers on how to do it. We are blessed to have the technology we have. I can sit here at my desk and testify to what I have seen the Lord do and within hours people all over the world can have access to this.

One of the most humbling things in this revival is that God chooses to work through me. Most people think I studied all summer to prepare a series of messages. The truth is I prayed all summer but received no clear direction from the Lord. The messages are given by God one day at a time. The sermon yesterday morning came out of a conversation with a lady on Saturday night. The message yesterday evening came from an email I received from a lady in our church God directed to share a scripture she read in her devotion. Providentially I read that same passage the week before and had marked it has a potential message for the revival. God chose to work through that message as He has done again and again over these past two weeks. More came to Jesus for salvation.

It is hard to believe we have actually met for two straight weeks. A great number of our people really do hunger for more of God. Mind you this is after eighteen revival services, some lasting two hours or more. Women are joking with each other about laundry needing to be done and grocery shopping that keeps getting pushed back. All of this is taking place right before school starts. School supplies and clothes must be purchased. Children do not understand why they keep going to church every night of the week. All teachers report back today. School actually starts a week from today. Despite all of that, God continues to send the river of His revival.

The volleyball teams and football teams are already playing. Yet, God shows no signs of slowing down. I have contemplated what this would look like should the Lord desire move for weeks into the future. Teachers have to teach. Business people have to work. Coaches have to work. Homemakers still cook and clean. Students still have to go to school and do homework. At least for this season, this preacher has to keep preaching. We do not have this all figured out. Right now it is one day at a time.

When the service ended last night I could only say, “I will be back at 7:00 p.m. tomorrow night.” If there are those who still hunger for God we will meet. Sherman has committed to stay through Monday night at this point. None of us have a plan and know the full extent of what God is doing. As we start day sixteen I only know to take it one day at a time. God continues to show Himself mighty to save.

Tonight is a new night. We do not know how far the Lord will stretch His hand to draw people tonight. We will pray. We will meet expecting God to move mightily once again. To those of you who do not live in Seminole but you read these blogs to stay informed we plead with you to pray for us. God has entrusted us with a very special move and we want to steward it ever so carefully. We are beginning to see our role in this revival as being much bigger than Seminole. We are asking God to let it spread. If you get the chance to attend this revival in person I encourage you to do so. My prayer is that you too might experience the glorious outpouring we are witnessing and take it back with you to your communities as well. May the revival spread and God continue to show Himself mighty to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment