Thursday, December 31, 2015

Who Made The Journey With You

The older I get the more I value the relationships of family and close friends. I value those people who journey with me through life. I treasure those trusted few that stand with me in the hard times and help me press on to victory.

Nobody does that more than my wife Brenda. She is my greatest prayer warrior and my greatest encourager. Many times she prays of me in the late night hours. She asks God to help me have wisdom, to persevere over the mountains and to trust God in the trials. While people often tell me how God used a message I preached they never thank her for her faithful prayers that God answers giving fresh revelation and insight into His word. She laughs at my jokes, is patient with me when I am irritable, believes in me when I don't believe in myself and constantly encourages me. I cannot imagine doing life without her.

Sometimes at night she reaches out to touch my back or arm while we sleep. It is comforting knowing that she is by my side in the bed as well as my partner in life and ministry.  I am blessed to journey with her. I do not take her for granted. I know life in ministry has not been easy for her. I certainly want her to have an easier path. She has willingly taken every faith step with me even if it stretched her. So many of my grand dreams have not been fulfilled yet she patiently trusts God and inspires me not to give up. She compliments me often. She is my best friend and my soul mate.

I am also thankful for my four sons who teach me more than they know. I am thankful for Taylor. He has always been driven and disciplined. Even as I write this on New Year's Eve he is at the weight room lifting to prepare for next football season at Howard Payne. Taylor is a warrior. He has overcome many disappointments in life athletically. He does not give up. Repeatedly since he has been home for the Christmas break I have seen him running up the hill near our house. He does these things on his own. He is a hard worker and disciplined in his studies at college. He aspires to coach and teach history.

He teaches me so much. To be perfectly honest, my ministry has been disappointing. It is hard to even have dreams since so many have been shattered. Yet Taylor inspires me to keep believing, keep working and not to give up. He did not get to step on the field one time this year at college. Instead of giving up he is even more dedicated to work toward those dreams. How can I do less.

I am thankful for Tanner. He amazes me. He is extremely disciplined. I saw him get up early in the morning to go get his weight workouts in before joining his basketball team for a tournament. Twice he left the house on Christmas break before 7:30 a.m. in the morning. He has goals and has worked extremely hard to achieve those goals. He is a fighter who does not quit. Even though his football team did not make the playoffs, Tanner played hard every play. He practiced hard. He is not a vocal leader but his example and work ethic speaks volumes. He also aspires to play college football. He has never played on a wining ball team from childhood to today. He has not given up. He knows what he wants to do for a career. He plans to also coach and teach high school English.

As I watch him not give up, though he has been dealt disappointment, he inspires me not to lose heart but to give my best effort.

Tucker amazes me. As I watch him battling back from season ending injury and surgery ,I am most impressed with his attitude. When the doctor said Tucker could start doing upper body workouts yesterday Tucker went with Taylor to lift today. He smiles, laughs. encourages others and has many friends. He has set goals to come back stronger than before. He has not moped. I have not seen him down and out one time since the surgery. He inspires me to battle back from the hardships of life. What a blessing to have a son with such a good attitude.

Turner is extremely outgoing. He is a friend to many. He is filled with life. I see his eyes dance with excitement for living. He has learned to work hard watching the examples of all his older brothers. He is bold in his faith. Turner is a pretty happy child, except in the early mornings. He is definitely a night owl like his mother. He is a happy person. Most of the time when I see him after school he walks to my truck with a smile on his face. I wish I had his joy.

It is a blessing from the Lord that I get to share life with each of them. On this New Year's Eve I am well contented to sit at home with them to ring in the New Year (if I stay up that late.) God uses each of them to help me keep going. I have never known and experienced love like I share with them. I thank God for getting to journey with them through life.

I have some close friends which I will not take the time to name here. They know who they are. These are the few I lean on. They counsel me. They pray for me. They support me. They believe in me. They challenge me and when needed rebuke me. Many have stood with us in lean financial times. I am who I am and am enabled to do what I do because those faithful friends keep journeying with me.

As 2015 quickly winds down I am most grateful for those who make the journey with me. I am thankful those same people will journey with me into 2016. I also anticipate by faith God will add others along the way. I praise God for beautiful relationships that make life richer.

Who has God put with you to share the journey of life. Take some time to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment