Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Little Blessings

My friend has been confined indoors for some time now. On the rare occasion he is able to make it outside it is only for brief spells at a time. He and I chatted today. In the course of our conversations he was moved to tears. It was not anything I said. It was the little blessings he recounted.

He teared up talking about a recent trip outside and being able to hold leaves in his hand, to see a butterfly, and to hear a couple of birds chirping. Things most of us take for granted.

I just went to my mailbox and silently grumbled because of all the leaves on my driveway, roof, and yard. Not one step to my mailbox did I stop, really look at the different colors of leaves and pause in worship of a God who created those trees and leaves.  Not once did I reflect on the brilliance of God to keep recycling and replenishing trees and leaves as the seasons call for.

This morning, while in my home office, I heard many birds chirping outside my window. To be honest they distracted me somewhat from praying. Not once did I pause and thank God not only for the birds but that He feeds each of them. He created different species of birds with different chirps. They are decorated with different colored feathers. They chirp beautiful music I did not take the time to enjoy. When I finish this I am going on the back porch and enjoy the sounds coming from the trees of a different kind of orchestra.

I have not seen a butterfly in sometime but I believe if I did I would not get lost in the wonder of God's marvelous creation. I would not pause and think about the transformation that butterfly went through to look the way he does. A simple butterfly is another reason to pause and worship.

We take little blessings for granted all around us. Did you pause to enjoy your breakfast today. Did you savor each bite delighting in the array of flavors. Were so hurried you wolfed it down to get on with your day. Did you pause today enjoying beautiful music. At any point were you moved by the sounds of the seasons. Did you enjoy the company of a family member or friend today giving them your undivided attention and thanking God for how such person or persons make your life more complete.

Did you thank the Lord for health today. The ability to breathe. Did you take it for granted that you can see as you took in the panorama of trees, sky, and splashes of color all around you.

It is so easy to take the little blessings for granted. I am thankful for my friend. I am thankful for his reminder to not take the little blessings for granted.

When you eat dinner tonight eat a little slower and enjoy the meal. Bask in the bounty of a feast and those who gather around your table. There are people who would give anything if they could enjoy just one more simple meal with a departed loved one.

If you sit in your favorite chair feel the comfort of the cushion and fabric against your weary body. Relax in that chair. If you grab a book feel the pages in your fingers, enjoy the content and feel what the author felt as he wrote. If you share a conversation with a family member give them your full and undivided attention. Enjoy the simple embrace, a peck on the cheek, or a pat on the back. Stop long enough to see the flashing lights on the Christmas trees or decorating homes and businesses. Remind yourself that Jesus is the Light of the World as you view white lights. Get lost in the wonder of multi-colors and thank God for each of them though they pale in comparison to His majesty.

There are so many little blessings all around us. Here I sit at my desk typing on this computer. In a few moments with the press of a button this simple message will be made available to be read all around the world. That is a little blessing I am thankful for. Preachers of bygone eras did that have such a blessing. To my right sits my Bible I have preached from, studied, and read for 13 years. That is more than a little blessing to have a copy of God's word. Next to it sits a biography of a famous preacher now departed to heaven. His life inspires me. Directly behind me are four large bookshelves crammed and overflowing with books. There are thousands of volumes and each one a little blessing from God to feed my soul.

There is not enough time to record every little blessing God has showered on us. It really comes down to perspective. What you and I take for granted each day moved my friend to tears. It stopped me in my tracks for a few moments. How I have sinned taking God's beauty and blessings for granted. We all need to slow down and enjoy this journey of life. We ned to pause long enough to enjoy God's little blessings. Why not start tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment