Thursday, December 3, 2015

17 Times

Did you ever go to a store and have one of your young children clamoring to get your attention. They repeated, "Mom, Momma, Mother or Dad, Daddy, Father," over and over again incessantly.They would not be denied getting your full attention. They were determined to be heard.

Have you ever had a parent or an employer give you repeated instructions over and over again. They spelled out in detail what they wanted you to do or how to do something. Over and over again they went over those details.

There are times when the Lord speaks. There are also times when He speaks over and over again in certain themes. It might be a message concerning conviction of sin, one of encouragement, or certain commands He wants to be obeyed.

Reading through the Bible is the best way to hear God speak. Ps 119:18 should be the prayer of every believer as they approach the scriptures. "Open my eyes that I may see wondrous things from Your law." As I look back over my life I can see how God used His word to communicate His will. Certain scriptures hold a special place in my heart because when I read them I am reminded of seasons when God used them to give me direction.

With eagerness I opened my Bible early Monday morning for devotion reading and mediation. In a 48 hour period I read a similar message from the Lord. The specifics are not important but the fact that God spoke is. With clarity God resounded the same theme. 17 times in two days. The message couldn't be ignored or denied.

God does that. When He wants to reveal something He will use certain scriptures or scripture themes. They will show up in a sermon, in the pages of a book or in the lyrics of a song.Over and and over again they show up in the most unexpected places.

When God speaks this clearly and consistently He means for His instructions to be heeded. He speaks to be obeyed.

Think of the number of sermons and devotions that are not obeyed. There are consequences for disobedience.

When God speaks the same thing 17 times He means to be heard and obeyed. Our great responsibility is to adjust our lives to His truth. Day by day to align ourselves with the truth of scripture. I am not saying this is always easy. I am saying this is the duty of every believer.

Sadly many people have no appetite to read their Bible. They have no desire for God's truth. They do not crave the meat of God's word.

In the old days before email, twitter or cell phones Brenda and I wrote letters while we dated and were apart from one another during the summer months. I could not wait to get one of her letters. I would read it over and over again. I would go over those letters phrase after phrase and word after word. I craved a love letter from Brenda.

The Bible is God's love letter to us. Why don't we read it like a lover receiving a love letter from his or her lover. That is the kind of intensity and craving we should approach reading scripture. When God speaks we must be ready to obey. May the Lord open your eyes to behold some wonderful and rich things from His word. Obeying Him will require faith and at times lead us to risky adventures. When He speaks 17 times He means to be heard and to be obeyed period.


No comments:

Post a Comment