Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Held Hostage

Tucker had a doctor appointment this morning. He was the only one of his brothers up early so we decided to grab breakfast before the appointment. He chose IHOP.

He devoured his breakfast of scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage and french toast. His appetite is slowly returning after the surgery. When I reached for my wallet  after we both finished, I panicked. I left the house and forgot it. I did not have any cash with me. On the table in front of me sat our bill. I had no way of paying that bill. I did not have a debit or credit card. I did not know anyone in the restaurant. My mind began to reel as to what I could do.

I thought of talking to the waitress and telling her I would come back to pay the bill. I had nothing to leave her for insurance that I would return. I did not figure she would trust me. Then an idea hit me. I could leave Tucker. It would take me close to thirty minutes to drive to Brenda's work, get some money and return to pay the bill.

I told the waitress my dilemma. She laughed when I told her I would leave Tucker. She commented, "We will hold him hostage." Embarrassed I scurried out the door and headed to see Brenda.

Her comment, "We will hold him hostage," bounced around in my mind. I realized a great spiritual truth in that moment.

Sin held all of us hostage. Each of us owed a debt we could not pay like I owed a breakfast bill I had no means to cover. While we like to make comparisons of different types of sin it is all offensive to God. We were helpless. We had no ability of our own to pay that sin debt. Sins like lying, cursing, gossiping, slander, immorality, idolatry and hypocrisy held us hostage. Each sin holding the knife of spiritual death to our throats and we  were helpless to defend ourselves. We needed a rescuer. Someone to redeem us.

Enter Jesus. He paid the debt we could not pay for ourselves. He offered His perfection for our imperfection. He took on our wretched unrighteousness so we could be declared righteous in Him.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NASB) 
21  He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 

He bore the consequences for our transgressions. He suffered for our sin. Jesus rescued and still rescues sinners from spiritual death and eternal damnation.

Brenda gave me the money to pay the bill getting chuckled at my situation.. That allowed me to rescue Tucker from being held hostage at IHOP. Jesus rescues people from even the most heinous sins. No sin debt is too large. No sin burden is so heavy He cannot lift it and cast it as far as the east is from the west.

 Psalm 103:12 (NASB) 
12  As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. 

Therefore, because of Jesus, His death on the cross and His resurrection we are no longer held hostage. 

Tucker was plenty happy when I returned. His face delighted when he saw me walk around the corner. Our whole countenance delighted when Jesus stood up in the courtroom of God to take our punishment and pay the debt for isn we could never pay ourselves. Hallelujah and glory to God forever and ever. We have been set free. Our chains are gone. We are no longer held hostage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment