Sunday, December 20, 2015

If I Could Take The Pain For You I Would

None of us slept well Thursday night. We had to get up pretty early to have Tucker at the hospital for his knee surgery on Friday morning. He told us privately one of his fears was that when the doctor went in to look at his knee that he would find more extensive damage. We were all nervous.

We sat in the waiting room for over an hour just waiting to go back to pre-op. Tucker grew impatient but I told him that he would have to be patient. Eventually we did get back to pre-op. He was not excited about having to wear one of those hospital gowns. I took many pictures but promised him I would not share them publicly.

After the nurse started his I/V, which Tucker took like a trooper, and left I had something to tell him while we had a little privacy just Brenda, Tucker and me. I walked over to his bedside and suddenly felt flooded with emotion. When I started talking my voiced cracked, 'Tucker, if I could take this pain for you I would. If I could go through this for you I would. I can't. What I can promise you is that I will be here with you until you leave and I will be there when you wake up. I will be there for you as you go through rehab. " With that I began to cry and went to the bathroom to compose myself.

The surgery took longer than expected but everything went well. He has been home recovering this weekend and able to rest somewhat without much pain. We praise God for that. He and Brenda stayed home from church today.

We had a children's program and one of our students preached. Normally I hate not peaching but this was one Sunday I welcomed the relief. A thought hit me in the middle of worship. A powerful stop the moment kind of thought.

It dawned on me that Jesus did what I wanted to do for Tucker but more. While I could only standby as a helpless parent for Tucker, Jesus could do more. He took my place and your place. In essence He said, "Matt, I can take this pain for you. I will take this pain from you. I was there for you on your birthday. I will be there for you when you die. I will be with you every step of every moment of life. "

I could not help Tucker but Jesus could help me. He could pay the penalty for my sin. He did pay the penalty for my sin. He did the same for you. He died to take our punishment. He took the pain and punishment for sin to make us the righteousness of God in Him. He made an unbelievable offer hard to refuse. He did take the pain for us. For that I owe Him everything. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NASB) 
21  He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment