Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Tribute To My First Lady

 I saw you walking across the campus of Howard Payne,
You caught my attention though I didn't know your name,
I saw you in the evenings on some of your campus runs,
Your brown hair and brown eyes left me totally stunned,
One day I asked if you knew you were A #1 good lucking,
Not knowing then in the future my dinner you'd be cooking,
I convinced you to go out with me on a supposed study date,
You brought all your books - me questions about your faith,
You blew me away with your devotion and love for the Lord,
Right then I determined I wanted to get to know you more,
We started dating spending time together after our classes,
Sad at each parting at curfew by how fast the time passes,
Sadly for awhile we chose to both go our separate ways,
Those were my saddest, most trying and difficult days,
You home to work after completing the work for your degree,
Me to finish at HPU broken hearted but trying for fancy free,
You came back that May to get your degree and to graduate,
We ended up talking late that night a catch up sort of date,
The sparks flew, my love had never waned, I still wanted you,
My brown eyed beauty girl that I met on the campus of HPU,
The romance blossomed and soon we set our wedding date,
Believing God brought us together again through divine fate,
Nearly a quarter of a century later with four sons of our own,
You're my glue that holds us all together making house a home,
I loved you then back as a college starry eyed preacher boy,
I love you more now for decades you've filled me with joy,
I used to stand and sing beneath your dormitory window,
This poem another verse to that love song crescendoed..

No comments:

Post a Comment