Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Prayer Ministry Connection

Some weeks ago while praying I became burdened for a lady I baptized many years ago. We lost touch when I moved from the church she attended. The burden was so intense I knew I had to try to make contact with her. I called the church she attended and to find her number. I called and called to no avail. I could never get an answer. I tried on several different occasions but with the same result. Turned out it was not even working number any longer. The line would just ring.

Today, out of the blue, that lady contacted me telling me she needed my help. We talked as she unloaded her sorrows. After listening to her I understood more fully why God had burdened my heart for this sister so heavily.

What amazes me is how the Holy Spirit burdened my heart for this lady several weeks ago and then moved her to contact me this morning. It was a privilege to listen to this sister in the Lord and to pray with her over the phone.

On another day recently when praying I received another burden for someone. This time the burden was more specific. I texted this person the next morning to see if the burden I had was correct. It was indeed. The next day I again had a burden for this person but even more specific than the first burden. I texted this person to see if I was correct in my assessment of the problem. The reply was I was spot on.

I was not spot on owing to my ability. The Holy Spirit knew the situation and impressed on me how to pray. I think He desires to do this for all followers of Jesus if we will slow down long enough to be sensitive to His promptings. Think of the endless possibilities if we could discern His leadings while we pray. He could reveal troubles, sorrows, waywardness, specific scriptures, and ways to minister to people.

It is my conviction that the Holy Spirit is the forgotten part of the Trinity. We love the Father and Jesus. Many have little use for the Holy Spirit. Our Pentecostal brothers and sisters embrace the Holy Spirit far more than other denominations.

If you and I prayed in step with the Holy Spirit and walked in step with the Holy Spirit how many people could receive effective ministry through prayer and face to face. We cannot afford to grieve and quench the Holy Spirit. Baptist churches put very little emphasis on the Holy Spirit. He is the one who connects the needs of people with those who are to minister. That is why years ago I created my own denomination. I call myself a Baptecostal. I recognized years ago we need the Holy Spirit to help us in ministry. He empowers. He comforts. He reveals truth He convicts. This past week He made connections between my prayers and hurting people. No college or seminary classroom can teach you that.

Holy Spirit we welcome you. We need you. We ask you to connect our prayers with the hearts of those who need your touch the most. Show us the ones you are convicting and preparing to respond to the gospel Show us the brokenhearted. Show us the discouraged. Show us the hopeless. Show us the ones who are lonely. Please reveal to us the ones who are weary. Please help us make the connections. Then I ask you to empower us to minister to their needs. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment