Friday, November 24, 2017

A Perfect Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving started early. My entire prayer time was giving thanks to God for people and blessings. I had no desire to ask for anything. I thanked Him for everything from my salvation to my family. I thanked Him for friends, the food we have in our pantry and the food we would eat for our Thanksgiving lunch. I thanked Him for His continued provision, my education and for the different flocks we have served over the decades.

Brenda and I got up early to finish lunch preparations and cooked a small breakfast. We have certainly enjoyed having all four boys around the table. We love six place settings better than four. Next fall we will be down to three. After observing a family Thanksgiving tradition we sat down to a late lunch.

Brenda did an amazing job on lunch. The boys all gave her their favorites. She cooked something for everyone. Everything tasted fantastic. I have never had a better Thanksgiving meal. We had a feast of turkey (of which I did not partake being opposed to the fowl family), dressing, squash casserole, homemade cream corn, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, plus deserts. A feast fit for a king. And we gave thanks to God around the table before we ever ate a bite.

We went around the table telling what we were thankful for. I spoke personally to each member of the family about how proud I am of them and how much I love them. Brenda followed in tears just glad to have everyone home together. Taylor followed her, then Tanner, Tucker, and lastly Turner. A definite Thanksgiving I will not forget.

A perfect Thanksgiving. Looking at the love of my life sitting to my left at the table as she has done for over two and a half decades moved me. Her brown hair and sparkling brown eyes still hold my gaze.  Next to her the youngest Turner who has an infectious laugh. He is one the happiest people I know. I love his attitude and approach to life. At the other end of the table Tucker sits. He is very witty and he and Tanner can sure make us laugh. Taylor sits next to him to the right. He spoke very tenderly of family and close friends he has made at college. Tanner sits next to me to my right. He is always keeping us laughing. He is very witty and sharp on his feet. He can make us double over in laughter. He has shown us more affection. He has hugged Brenda and I multiple times followed  by his repeated, "O love you." Typically Tanner and Tucker had some one liners that kept us in hysteria. Brenda even had a one liner that made all the guys belly laugh. She can be very funny.

After lunch we drifted into the living room where we all fell asleep. We treasure these family times together. Many texted me about having a happy Thanksgiving as the day began. We already had. Before we ever a bite of Thanksgiving lunch we had a perfect Thanksgiving just being together.  Just having us all together meant more to me this year than it ever has before. We truly enjoyed a perfect Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment