Friday, November 24, 2017

Standing On The Edge

Behind me is everything comfortable, familiar and known. Before me is the uncomfortable, the unfamiliar, and the unknown. I stand high on the edge of this lofty cliff. Faith tells me to step out and to trust. Logic tells me to step back into security. Faith says step out. Fear says step back.

This is not the first time I have stood on the edge of a similar cliff faced with a decision to make. These are moments I both live for and dread all at the same time. These are the moments when everything I have preached and written is put on the line. These are the moments I have to determine will I give lip service to faith or will I actually shrink back in safety like a security blanket.

God leads people to edges all the time. Choices have to be made. Sadly many choose safety and security to steps of faith. Living by faith is not for the faint of heart. It requires some courage and conviction. Conviction that God is faithful and can be trusted.

The truth is the decision has already been made for me. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (ESV) 
7  for we walk by faith, not by sight.  Hebrews 11:1 (ESV)
1  Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  Hebrews 11:6 (ESV)
6  And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

I am called to a life of faith walking. No matter how high the cliff or obscure the view below the decision is made. I must step out. I WILL STEP OUT. Time and time again. I don't ever really expect to enjoy a comfortable secure life. I expect to my dying breath God will keep calling me to step off cliffs in faith. 

Do I ever get scared after taking faith steps for several decades? Yes. Before making those decisions my pulse quickens. My mind floods with thoughts of taking the easier path. Doubts begin to surface. I question whether I am hearing God clearly. I recall numerous times when I stepped out and things did not turn out like I had hoped. Like trying to plant two different churches. Like the Kermit revival. 

If I am convinced I have heard from God clearly and He is leading me to take the step of faith I will step. I wait for His peace to calm all my fears and doubts to give me the conviction needed to trust and to step. What happens next is all up to God. My part is to hear Him clearly, to trust Him completely, and to step out obediently. His part is work the the wonders in response. It is not the path I would have chosen for myself but it is the path I am determined to keep walking. 

I figure I will live most of my life on the edge. I might as well get comfortable here. This is the path God ordained for me. This is the race He has called me to run. This is the destiny for my life. Standing on the edge is where I have learned to love. 

So, here I go. No turning back. No regrets. No turning back. I trust and I step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment