Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Sent Out With Nothing

Mark 6:7-13 (ESV)
7  And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits.
8  He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts—
9  but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.
10  And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there.
11  And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.”
12  So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent.
13  And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.  


I cannot shake these verses. I have been meditating on them and trying to digest them the past couple of days. Like happens so often one of the ways I work through scripture is to write about what God is showing me. 

The word called in the above scripture means "to summon or be given a personal invitation." We like invitations to parties, to special occasions like weddings or wedding showers. I am not so sure most people want Jesus' personal invitation. It seems radical as I read it. 

He charged His disciples. The word charged means " to make a declaration and a commandment." This is not optional. He does not offer the disciples a suggestion. He does not even give them an option. It is a clear directive. He gives them marching orders. Does He ever do that in this day and time? Does He ever call and charge people to do certain things for Him? Does He still call people to leave the comfortable to go for Him? 

He sent them out in teams of two. I am sure that was for each to encourage and pray for the other when things got tough. He also gave them authority over unclean sports. Some would argue there are no unclean spirits around today. I would beg to differ. He gave them authority over these unclean spirits. That means He gave them "strength, power, and jurisdiction" over demons. 

All of the above is not what I have been wrestling with. It is the next few directives of Jesus that have stopped me in my tracks and left me asking if He might still require this today. Jesus commanded them to take nothing for their journey, no food, and no money. His command was to be obeyed by faith. 

How can Jesus call His ministers and missionaries to go out with nothing to fall back on but Him? That is extreme. Today we would have ample provisions to rely on, financial support before we go, and a place to live all in place before going on mission. His disciples were to enter a town and trust God to show them favor with someone to open their home so they would have a place a sleep. 

That is extreme. It is not practical. Experts would never support such an ambition. It looks foolish and presumptuous. And I cannot help but ask myself does Jesus still do this? What if He commanded me to do something similar? Would I trust Him. Would I willingly leave and go on mission for Him without a place to live, with no money or food for the trip? Would I walk out in faith totally depending on Him for everything? Do I really have that kind of faith and courage/

Religious people would make a list of excuses why such a mission is doomed to fail from the start. I would agree wholeheartedly if the plan to go originated in the mind of a man or a woman. What if the call and invitation originated with Jesus? Would we sit around for months and years waiting for everything to fall into place before we left? Would we wait for guaranteed financial security to be in place before we left? 

Would any of us simply obey by faith and GO? Throughout history some have. They inspire me. Read about the early ministry of Leonard Ravenhill when he walked the length and breadth of England preaching revivals, sleeping in church buildings and barns, trusting God for every meal and yet seeing the Kingdom of God expanded. Read about Jackie Pullinger who got on a boat in 1966 only knowing God called her to go. She had no missionary organization to send her. She did not even know what country God wanted her to go to. Many thought she would fail. She ended up in Hong Kong where she has labored for half a century. 

Could Jesus really command this to me?Go. Don't worry about where you live, what you eat, or the money you need along the way. Go. Share the gospel. Pray for the sick. Stand against the enemy. 

Now Jesus sent out His disciples with nothing but His power. The second part of this passage that stops me in my tracks is those disciples OBEYED! They didn't give into fear or logic. Jesus commanded. They obeyed. They trusted. 

The results. Many repented of sin. Many were delivered from evil spirits. Many sick were miraculously healed. Would any of that have happened if those disciples had waited until everything was guaranteed and planned in advance. Would they have ever left the safety and security of their homes. 

This passage has been burning in me for two days. I cannot shake it. This morning I read a companion passage about when the disciples retired from their mission. Luke 22:35 (ESV) 
35  And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.”


We all want to see the miraculous activity of God in our churches and ministries. I am convinced the miracles of Jesus are on the other side of faith steps. Miracles are on the other side of obedience even when it does not make sense. Even when Jesus sends you out with nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment