Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Different Kind Of Baptism

To baptize someone means to immerse them under or to overwhelm under the water. That is the literal greek word baptize definition. I got baptized in 1985 by Charles M. Roberts at the Denman Avenue Baptist Church on a Sunday night. I remember being so nervous and wondering if Brothers Charles would be able to pull me out of the water. I even asked him before going in. He assured me that he had baptized many bigger than me. With that act of baptism I united with Denman Avenue Baptist Church and truly learned what it means to follow Jesus over the next several years. Those wonderful people invested heavily in me. Part of who I am today is because of their investment. 

I got baptized a second time early this morning. I was not even looking for this baptism but God sent it too. This time it was not a baptism of water. Yet God immersed me and overwhelmed me. 

It was a pure baptism of His love. It is like He peeled back all the hindrances that have kept me from fully embracing, believing, and accepting that love. He baptized me in His perfect love. 

A love like I have never known. A love that brought both brokenness and restoration all at the same time. A baptism of love that moved me closer to His heart for other people. I wept and wept as His love poured over me. I wept harder when I pictured Him in my mind holding me and telling me how much He loved me. A Father's love to a fatherless little boy in a grown ups body. I cried and cried over His blessing baptizing me in His love. It is an encounter with Him I will not soon forget. 

We read about His love all through the scripture. [John 3:16] [Rom 5:8]. Much of the book of I John is an expression of His love for His people. Do we believe it really? Do we receive it? Do we secure and anchor ourselves in that love? Does His love for us well up more love for Him in us? Does it create more love for other people. 

God did something special in me this morning. I guess the fruit of that encounter with Him will be proven over the course of my life. I continually ask Him in these days to give me His love for people. One so unworthy as me but who is loved so much wants others to know that same kind of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment