Friday, December 1, 2017

Partners

We don't get through life without the benefit and blessings or other people in our lives. God puts partners in our lives who love us, invest in us, encourage us, believe in us, and support us along the way. They share wisdom, life experiences, discipleship, and they may even financially help to make our dreams come true.

This morning I came across a passage I've never noticed before. O, I've read it numerous times in the past. Something was different this time. The passage seemed illuminated in my mind and heart. The truth seemed meant for me. It felt like God wrote me a personal note to encourage me this morning.

Philippians 4:14-20 (ESV)
14  Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.
15  And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only.
16  Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again.
17  Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.
18  I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.
19  And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
20  To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

I've always seen Paul as a fiercely determined, independent, and courageous soul. Fearless in the face of danger. Faithful in the face of hardship. Rock solid in the face of suffering. 

What surprised me from this passage is how Paul needed partners in his ministry. He said the Philippians "shared in his trouble." He went on to elaborate that they "partnered with him in giving". He goes on to say they "sent help for my needs once and again." He also reports he "received full payment, I am well supplied."

Paul needed people to come along side him. He needed partners. God used people to help him in his ministry. Suddenly I felt a connection with Paul I've never had before. Over the past two and a half decades I have also had many financial partners. God has used them to help me along the way.

Many times these gifts came in amounts of $25, $50, and $100. I cannot even recount all the wonderful people God has used to support Brenda and I in our ministry pursuits through No Compromise Ministries. Dozens and dozens of people who sent their gifts. Selfless people willing to sacrifice. Kingdom minded people.

I recently made a preaching trip to east Texas. Funds were extremely tight. I did not know how I would make the whole trip in gas and meals. God used some partners. My host for the night offered to drive the four hour round trip from his home to the church I preached in that night. What a blessing. He also bought my lunch that day. His gifts were a real blessing.

Later that night after preaching I met with a lady and her young son I used to serve as pastor years ago. Before she left she handed me some cash. She said God told me to do this. Her gift enabled me to make the trip back home without using a credit card. God used partners to help me.

Many years ago I recall a lawyer coming to my office once and handed me a check for $10,000. On another occasion a farmer gave me a $10,000 for a project. Once someone blessed me with $15,000. I think of a faithful couple who send us money every month to help and on many occasions have sent gift cards to the boys at Christmas. A single lady recently began sending us a monthly gift to help us in our walk of faith.

When in college a ranching couple gave me a car. Several years later a doctor gave me a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The truck I now drive I have because God used three people to bless us with the money for it. God continues to use generous, gracious, and people willing to sacrifice to help my family and our desire to follow Him.

There are so many partners God has used. Each sermon, each book I've written, each blog, each mission trip, each revival, youth camp, youth retreat, or rally has all been possible because God has used multitudes of people to help us along the way. For that I thank God for all the people He has used along the way. Praise His holy name and to Him be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment