Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Surviving Tumultuous Storms

Everywhere you look you can find someone trying to survive storms of life. They may come with varying intensity but some of them are nasty. If I could share just a few of the stories people have shared with me as they poured out their souls your heart would break.

People face storms of sorrow, storms of sin and the consequences of sin, storms of tragedy, storms of betrayal, storms of broken relationships, and much more. How do you survive when you have been slammed by the storms of life. You don't even want to get out of bed. You feel so numb that you go through the motions of living. You may even convince yourself nobody cares or understands including God.

How do you survive these seasons?

Colossians 2:6-7 (ESV)
6  Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,
7  rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.


If you and I are rooted in Christ, grounded in Him and His truth, though the winds may blow we can survive. To be rooted in Christ means to be stable in Christ. The deeper we sink our roots into relationship with in Him the more stable we become. The more we are able to endure and keep standing because of roots are anchored in the timeless foundation of Christ. 

Jesus builds us up. He constructs our lives and faith for the stormy seasons like people living near the ocean build houses to survive hurricanes. He edifies us. We all need to be encouraged from time to time and I know of no better encourager than Jesus. The more He does this the deeper our roots dig into Him like fingers grabbing hold of a rescue line. 

I have walked with Jesus over thirty years now. I can look back with thankfulness on the number of times He has helped me to survive tumultuous storms. I see several storms brewing over my life as I write this. I am confident He will help me stand because my roots are sunk deep in Him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment