Thursday, December 14, 2017

Crouching At The Door

I have read through the Bible numerous times. It never fails. No matter how many times I read it I always see something different, fresh, new, and exciting each year. It happened again just a few days ago. A passage I have read dozens of times over. Then right there I saw it in black and white. Right there on the printed page. I don't know how I missed it before. Right there under my nose.

Let me set the scene. God talked to a man and warned him about sin. The moment was a grace moment. A tender moment when God reached out to save a man from making a terrible mistake. You can read for yourself what He said to Cain.

 Genesis 4:6-7 (ESV) 
6  The LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen?
7  If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.”

Right there in black and white "sin is crouching at the door." It is crouching in hiding ready to pounce on an unsuspecting person.  In this case Cain. God, who knows everything, saw right into Cain's heart. He saw the anger. He saw the festering bitterness because his brother Abel gave a more acceptable offering to God. 

God also warned Cain to rule over sin because sin desired Him. I think God warned Cain that through the avenue of temptation and sin Satan wanted to destroy his life. When God warned Cain to rule over sin it means to govern it Be alert. Be on guard. Sin is crouching at the door. 

That happens to all of us too, Sin is crouching at the door. Satan is tempting, tripping, and taking people down. We need to be on guard. To be sober minded. To keep watch. Satan is always looking to  still, kill, and destroy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment