Monday, December 18, 2017

Bragging On God

I got invited to preach to a loving church I love dearly. Brenda and I served this church when we were newlyweds. A lot of water has gone under the bridge in the last 25 years since we were with them. I have preached there on numerous occasions since then. The pastor, my dear brother Jase Waller, gave me an unusual assignment. He wanted to me to preach on prayer and to share from my personal life journey.

I love preaching and teaching on prayer. I also love to testify about the many ways God has worked in my family in answer to prayer. I studied for a message but right before the service I suddenly felt convicted the message I prepared was not the right one. I had no time to prepare for another one.

I sat on the front pew in that sanctuary all alone as the worship started. I did not sing. I prayed. I asked God what I was to share. I felt impressed to do something I have never done before. I felt God wanted me to give my testimony of how He taught me to pray over the years. He put a couple of scriptures in my heart to start.

For nearly an hour I testified of the many ways God taught me to pray. I interwove meaningful scriptures He used along the way. The longer I talked and testified the more excited I grew remembering story after story of God's faithfulness in my family. I told stories I had not thought of in years. The passion for prayer grew with each scripture and each testimony. In the end I felt I had barely scratched the surface. There was so much more in my heart to share but the mind can only absorb as much as the seat can endure.

I spent an entire message bragging on God. I told stories people found hard to believe. I might not believe them myself if I had not lived them. Several times Brenda interjected details I forgot. One scripture on top of another came as over the past three decades God has built and tested my faith. Through the trials and tests He continues to strengthen faith. I think I am facing more trials and tests at this time than at any other one time in my life. I believe God is setting the stage for greater miracles and more testifying and bragging on Him.

Looking back I see more than ever the journey Brenda and I are on is a great adventure. It has not always been easy. The trials are often severe. We have doubted many times along the way. Even when we did not have faith God still proved faithful. It has been exciting even if it has not been easy. Getting the chance to brag on Him like I did last night energized my faith. I am humbled God has chosen to work in my life in such dramatic ways. I am not worthy. I am not special. I am an ordinary man just like Elijah was an ordinary man. I serve an extraordinary God. I serve a God who has the power and desire to move in miraculous fashion. When He does I love to brag on Him. May I have a lifetime of bragging on Him in the future. Right up until my last breath.

Long after I am dead and  gone I hope people will keep reading these articles and keep reading about me bragging on God. I hope one day my messages will be recorded and people will listen and or watch and keep hearing me bragging on God. Even up in glory land I hope I get to sit around with others and brag on God in never ending worship. I exist to brag on God for all He has done and will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment