Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Funeral

Funerals are never fun. They are sad. The remind us of our mortality. People weep at funerals. The swift stream of sorrow runs deep at funerals. Over the yeas I have attended a number of funerals. I have officiated many more.

I recently attended a very sad funeral. The man's death was tragic, painful, and slow. He did not die easily. It was sad because nobody attended this funeral. I thought the man had family and friends. He was jovial at times but he had his moments when he could be tough.

His death saddened me. I thought of all the memories. Some good. Some not so good. There was no slide slow to rewind his life. It was an odd funeral. There were no flowers. No mourners. At the end of the a very simple service I walked forward to view the man in the casket one last time.

No matter what the morticians do the cold lifeless body does not look natural. The color is not as vibrant. The body is cold. Death is so final. At times so abrupt. As I looked into the casket I was taken aback. What I saw left me aghast. For in that casket surrounded by cushions and soft linen casket lining I saw ME.

The death of Matt Edwards. It has been a long time coming. Long overdue. Maybe these verses will make things clear.

Colossians 3:5-9 (ESV)
5  Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
6  On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
7  In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.
8  But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
9  Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices

Galatians 2:20 (ESV)
20  I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 

Galatians 6:14 (ESV)
14  But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment