Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Beauty Of Repentance

He came to me in tears. He had sinned and knew it. After an encounter with God this giant of a man came weeping in repentance. God met with Him and brought him to an encounter with Psalm 51 like many sinners before him.

Psalm 51:1-12 (NASB)
1
 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
2  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin.
3  For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me.
4  Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge.
5  Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
6  Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
7  Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8  Make me to hear joy and gladness, Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
9  Hide Your face from my sins And blot out all my iniquities.
10  Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11  Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.


He told me the verse that spoke to him most was verse ten. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. In those moments the giant became gentle, humble, and sincerely sorry. Though his sin was tragic his repentance was beautiful. 

God loves to restore repentant people . That can be individuals, churches, communities, and even whole countries. It is the grace and goodness of God that leads people to repentance and salvation. I hated to see this man hurting because of his sinful choices. I did rejoice to see his broken and contrite spirit. There is beauty in repentance and receiving restoration from the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment