Monday, April 18, 2016

Life On The Altar

Have you ever felt God pushing you to do something you did not want to do. This was certainly the case for Jonah when God called him to go to Nineveh. You know the story well.

We may not be as blatantly disobedient as Jonah but we have our ways. We make excuses like Moses did. We think through the implications and determine God's leading is not practical or logical. We look at the risk verses security margins and make our decisions that way. No matter how you slice or repackage all the above it still is DISOBEDIENCE.

After preaching a fiery message from Colossians I extended the invitation yesterday. In essence I challenged people to lay their lives on God's altar based on Romans 12:1 (NASB) 
1  Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

God reminded me of an issue I have been mentally wrestling over. I've made excuses. It is also an issue I did not want to obey. I repeatedly dismissed the whole issue from my mind. I was reminded of another time I faced an obedience issue. I went to a church to preach a youth event. The church did not have a pastor at the time. I did serve a wonderful church as pastor and had no intentions of leaving. The youth minister talked to me and said the search committee would contact me after they heard me preach the first night. 

I wrestled all afternoon  the next day with my conversation with the youth minister. I prayed and prayed. I preached from Romans 12:1 that night. When I extended the invitation I walked off the stage to my left and knelt at a spot near the rogan. Here is what I prayed. Lord, if nobody in this room means laying their life before You I do. If that means You will me to leave where I am to come pastor this church I am giving you my yes. I will do whatever you want.

That is what went through my mind as I stood before the congregation yesterday morning. I could not very well challenge the people to offer their lives to God in submission to His will and plans and me not do the same. So I turned my back and knelt at the steps. As best I could I offered God my life. I renewed my vow to follow Him anywhere at anytime to do anything. I pledged my obedience to Him even it is not always comfortable. I surrendered my will and plans to His will and plans. 

Surrendered. Yielded. Offering. Sacrifice. Worship. That is what a life on the altar is all about. What about you? Are you surrendered to God? Are you yielded to His right of way in your life? Are you willing to sacrifice if called to do so? Will yo present your life to Him as the ultimate expression of worship? That is living on God's alter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment