Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Are You Glad

Are you glad? Today , right now, in this moment are you happy? Do you have a cheerful disposition? Do you have a joyful attitude? Sadly, there are far too many days when I cannot say I have gladness or joy. On such days I typically get distracted by all the things on planet earth. On such days I can allow circumstances or other people to negatively affect my joy.

If I dwelled in the presence of God gladness would be a byp-roduct. Exceeding gladness in Him would dominate my thoughts and attitude. Paul put it another way. Philippians 4:4 (NASB) 
4  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

In God's presence is fullness of joy. An abundance of gladness. All this when we linger in God's presence and abide in Him. O how I need this abiding. I often do not bear the fruit of joy because I am not abiding in Christ's presence. I may meet Him daily and then leave Him to go about my business. Abiding means remaining with Him, staying hidden in Him, and journeying through life with Him. There is fullness of joy in living that way. Psalm 16:11 (NASB) 
11  You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

Paul wrote that part of the fruit of the Spirit is joy. Galatians 5:22-23 (NASB) 
22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 

I have prayed in recent days for the Holy Spirit to produce all of this in my life in abundance. That includes joy. Because of Jesus I can say as I write this I am glad. Sure I have troubles. Many of them. Yet in this moment as I abide in Jesus I am cheerful, glad, and filled with joy. Now the challenge is to take Jesus with me and His joy produced by the Holy Spirit throughout the remainder of this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment