Monday, April 18, 2016

For Profit

In a moment of weakness I turned to the Christian television stations this morning hoping to hear something of a word from the Lord. There were many channels and speakers. I flipped the channels going from one pastor and prophet to another. In the end I came away with the same conclusion. They were preaching for profit.

I heard one talking about sowing a seed gift into his ministry at this special time of year. Another offered several resources to help a person spiritually for the right price. Another talked about world events and then made several commercials pitching his latest books and teaching series that will transform a person's life.

Everybody had something for sale. They wall wanted financial support to keep their ministries on the air. They all offered life changing ministry for the right price.

People profit a great deal off the name of Jesus. Many espouse the prosperity gospel. Yet Jesus had no place to lay his head.  Paul often went hungry and exposed to the elements in his ministry in addition to getting physically mistreated. Most of the first disciples were martyred. Where was prosperity and profit for them. What seed money from special offerings did they take from the people to finance their lavish lifestyles.

These prophets preached with their hearts and souls. Often they bled for what they preached. They did not profit financially. They did not build elaborate ministry headquarters. They did more with less than all the people I saw on television  combined.

Eventually I turned the television off only able to stomach a few minutes of each one. At No Compromise Ministries we have never made the gospel for sell. We have given away more books than we have ever sold. We have always operated on a "whatever people can afford basis" . We have gone to preach events no matter the size of the church or event and no matter the ability to be compensated. When able we have asked people to pay our expenses and we come on a love offering or let our hosts determine what we get paid. We do not set fees for our ministry. I go where I am invited. Profit does not factor into the decision.

We are looking at the summer of 2017 to go to Kermit. We  are praying and planning to hold a "Shake The City Revival" there. we will take up offerings to help cover expenses but I will not profit. We will make available my rival devotion book but I am not looking to profit from them. In fact, all that happens in preparations for that revival will be at our expense and those who voluntarily choose to partner with us.  I am not a businessman. I am a preacher and my ministry is not for sell or profit. Over the years I've wrestled with well meaning business people who could only see the business side of things. We are not a business we are a ministry. I may not profit financially in this lifetime. Brenda and I have certainly known financial struggles over the past 25 years. God has provided. We have testified. I reckon that will continue to be the pattern. May we never sell our souls as a ministry to the highest bidder no matter what we stand to profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment