Sunday, July 22, 2012

Revival Day Nine - Part 1

This morning the focus remained on total commitment. In light of the tragedy that happened with the shootings at the Batman premier in Colorado the focus remained on being prepared to meet Jesus in eternity and total commitment from [Phil 1:21].

Every song we sang had something to do with commitment. While Chris once again sang his heart out it seemed that many people did not enter into worship. We sang but perhaps the songs were too strong. The message too hard to receive for several. The cost of total and complete surrender too much. Maybe some are tired. It had been fourteen short hours since several of us had gathered for worship the night before.

The shootings in Colorado reminded me of another tragic day back on April 20, 1999 at Columbine High School. Several were shot and wounded by two very disturbed young men. Two of the girls that made headlines were Rachel Scott and Cassie Bernall. Both young ladies were asked if they believed in God with a gun pointing at their head. Both gave strong witness for their faith. Cassie simply said, "Yes." Rachel is reported to have said, "You know I do." With those simple replies both young ladies were gunned down making them modern day martyrs.

Those girls follow in a long line of people who surrendered their very lives to follow Jesus. In 1555 Thomas Hauker of England prepared to face execution. He had a friend who whispered a strange request. He asked Thomas, "I have to ask you this favor. I need to know if what the others say about the grace of God is true. Tomorrow, when they burn you at the stake, if the pain is tolerable and your mind is still at peace, lift your hands above your head. Do it right before you die. Thomas I have to know."

The next day Thomas was bound to the stake and the fire lit. While the fire burned for a lengthy time Thomas remained motionless. His skinned burned. His fingers burned off. While everyone watched Thomas suddenly lifted his hands over his head and clapped three times! Hauker died giving praise to God and peace to his friend. Those watching rejoiced at the scene.

Paul, who wrote, "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain," [Phil 1:21] died violently having his head cut off. The apostle Peter is reported to have been crucified upside down. Polycarp died by being burned at the stake. Others were shot with arrows. Some were torn apart by wild beasts. Yet they still followed Jesus. Like Paul they lived completely unto to God. Like Cassie and Rachel they did not love their own lives even unto the death. Paul also wrote one day, "But I do not consider my life of any account or as dear to myself so that I may finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God." [Acts 20:24]

In this day and time many people do not want to be put out by the inconvenience of extra services during a revival or speaking the name of Jesus to the lost. Modern day church members remain content to attend Bible studies while not being near as passionate about applying truth to their lives. Holiness is a concept we may sing about but it is nearly extinct in the lives of some. We do not mind joining the church as long as it does not inconvenience our lives.

I have found following Christ to be a great inconvenience and yet the reward I have in Him brings joy unspeakable. [Ps 16:11] [Phil 3:7-8] It was not convenient to start over in planting a new church. I was inconvenienced for three months living in an RV. It has not been inconvenient for Brenda and I to juggle our finances after taking a cut in salary to lead Faith Community Church. It has not been convenient to meet in a day care, school cafeterias, gymnasiums, and the football stadium. It has not been easy to build a church with few resources. Compared to Rachel, Cassie, Thomas, or Paul I have not made a sacrifice. I have it easy and therefore I recommit. I reenlist to follow my Commander in Chief Jesus Christ.

Cassie Bernall wrote to a friend that she wanted to live completely unto God. She admitted it to be a scary thought but considered the rewards of such a life superior. About a year before she died she said she was willing to die for her God and to die for her faith. She surely could not have known that she would do both before graduating high school.

Where are the Cassies, Rachels, Thomases and Pauls today? Where are the believers who look death and persecution squarely in the eye and say, "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain." They are alive. Just travel to China, North Korea, Sudan, Uganda, Afghanistan or other places around the world where true followers of Christ pay a high price for remaining faithful.

I pleaded for the lost to give their lives to Christ. Nobody responded visibly. No one came to the altar to signify completely committing to live their lives for Christ. I am sure some decisions were made in the seats.

While extending the invitation a fly started buzzing around my head. Some told me afterward they saw it land on my forehead and cheek at different times. It buzzed my ears and swarmed around my eyes all causing me to get distracted at the most important part of the message. I recall thinking to myself that Satan had to be at work. That fly had not bothered me one time in thirty minutes of worship or thirty minutes of preaching until we got down to the invitation.

I know the enemy opposes the work of God all over the world and here in Paradise. The ground is hard. I am not talking about the physical ground, though it is hard too from the lack of rain. I am talking about the spiritual ground. Many are quite content to leave things the way they are. I am not. There are many lost especially among our young athletes and students. While the ground may be hard I continue to pray for God to break up the fallow ground. I only know to do that through praying, preaching, and witnessing. We press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment