Monday, July 9, 2012

The Glorious Pursuit - Asking, Seeking, and Knocking

God never ceases to amaze me. Last week our leadership team had a reality check. As Faith Community renovated some lease space the cost of making that transition proved to be more costly than we anticipated. Though we officially moved in that space two weeks ago we had not completely finished. Truth be known we started running low on our finances.

While praying this past week the Lord instructed me to be honest with the church and to take the time to ask Him during our service for His provision for a screen, to carpet the stage, and put signs out on the buildings. That is what I did preaching from [Matt 7:7-8] about asking, seeking, and knocking in prayer.

We did that. We asked God for carpet, a screen, and signs for the buildings. What God did next was exciting. After the message people came down to the front to pray, some for the things above mentioned, others for lost loved ones, and others for God to open doors for jobs and other things. While people were praying God began speaking and prompting a lady to give. She lives out of town and had come to visit her parents.

She met me in the back and told me how the Lord had moved in her heart. She handed me a folded check saying the Lord wanted her to give toward carpeting the stage. After thanking her one of our men came telling me he had a screen. We discussed the dimensions of the screen and once again I rejoiced in God's faithfulness. We asked, sought, and knocked. God graciously allowed us to receive, to find, and to have doors opened.

Absolutely amazing. God is faithful. [I Thess 5:24]. While in Seminole the church wanted to raise money to build a playground. When we moved there they continued trying to raise the money for a couple of months. One day I felt convicted that while we talked about raising that money not one time had I ever heard the church pray about it. So that is what we did. One Sunday morning we did that. We took time out of the service and prayed for God to provide the remainder of the money for the playground. That day God moved on someone's heart to write a large check that covered the remaining funds needed for the playground. I cannot remember if that check was for $13,000 or $17,000. It really does not matter because either amount is large. We asked, sought, and knocked and God answered.

I have told this story many times but it bears repeating. When God called me to start Faith Community Church we did not have anyone to lead us in worship. We held our first service on July 31, 2011 and I prayed over and over again that God would provide someone. We did not have much money to pay. We met in a daycare and then moved to the Jr. High cafeteria. That first Sunday we did not have any music. We discussed options. We could contact the Seminary for someone. I had a few connections. What I did not know is that God not only heard our asking, seeking, and knocking but He had already made provision.

Several years ago when we ministered in Paradise previously I helped coach a football team. I met a young man named Daniel. He is the kind of kid who gives one hundred percent effort. I loved coaching him. He and Taylor were friends. Daniel heard we were coming back to start a church. This happened at a time when Daniel's family was seeking God's direction for a church home. Just so happens Daniel's dad, Eddie, is a worship minister. By the third Sunday we had music in our church and Eddie had led us to the throne of God ever since. His wife Diana also has a passion and is gifted working with children. God used both of them to fill huge needs in the infant stages of this church. God heard our asking, seeking, and knocking and answered in a dramatic fashion.

Now admittedly, God does not always answer prayers that quickly or dramatically. He does answer though. In that [Matt 7:7-8] passage we are exhorted to ask, seek, and knock. In the greek language those three words are continuous action words. It really means to keep asking repeatedly, to keep seeking, and to keep knocking continually.

There are things I have prayed for years before the answers came. There are things I still pray over but have not seen the answer come yet. There are lost people I have prayed for nearly five years and have not seen them respond to the Lord. I do not give up.

What I do know is that God is a promise keeper. What He says He faithfully does. Now, He does it in His time. His timing is perfect but we often debate this. We impatiently wait but God knows what He is doing. He works in His time. He also works doing what He wills and purposes. There are many times we ask for things God does not will. That is a key to prayer. God has a will. If we want prayers answered then we need to ask according to His will. [I Jn 5:14-15]

 We all have experienced times when we did not receive what we asked for, did not find what we sought, and the doors did open for us when we knocked. Does this negate this scripture. No. We may not receive what we ask for because it is not what God wills or the timing is not right. So God at times says, "No." At other times He says, "Wait." We love those times when God says, "Yes and now."

God does answer prayers. I have staked my entire life on this principle. I do not have the time to recount the hundreds of testimonies I could give to how God answers prayer. He does and I have had a front row seat to behold His faithfulness over and over again. I try to share these stories when I preach and write. I hope it encourages people.

While I have seen God work dramatically in answering prayers I have also known the frustration of unanswered prayers. No matter how we have prayed our house in Seminole has not sold. It has been Thirteen months. Though we have it leased my prayer has always been for it to sell. I have lived in Paradise for a total of five years. We lived here four years serving another church and now we have lived here one year serving Faith Community Church. In that time I have prayed over and over again that God would allow us to buy a home here. We owned a home before we moved here the first time and still own a home in Seminole. God's answer has been to wait. That does not mean that I do not keep asking, seeking, and knocking.

On this pursuit there are many adventures. God does many exciting things. It excites me to recount them. I urge you to keep asking, keep seeking, and to keep knocking. If you do long enough you will have your own stories to share. That is part of this glorious pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment