Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Glorious Pursuit - Day Thirty

Life has taken on a familiar routine lately. I get up early and seek God. I linger in His presence. I worship in the secret place of this office in a private worship service for two. I adore Him and press my ears to heaven so I can hear from Him. I sing and worship for an audience of one. In these times the Lord has my undivided attention. He is the desire of my heart above all other desires. In Him I have all I need.

There is a worship song that came out a few years ago where the chorus rings to God that He is more than enough to satisfy every thirsting. I recall times when I heard that song driving somewhere and I contemplated whether that sentiment was true in my life. Truth be known there were many times I desired other things as much or at times more than God.

Recently I read [Ps 73:25] "Whom have I in heaven but You, and besides You I desire nothing on earth." I think for the first time I can honestly say that is true of my heart. Besides God I desire nothing more than Him. Not money, houses, fame, success. Nothing do I desire more than God. Like Paul I am learning to be content in all my circumstances. [Phil 4:11-12]

What I am rediscovering in the presence of my Father is greater than any treasure this world has to offer. New cars grow old. Houses run down and need repairs. Riches are spent. Fame is fleeting. Success is elusive. I am content in God and the family as well as the family of faith He has graciously given me.

Right now in the quietness of this hour before one worshiper arrives I am already meeting with God. I am already soaking in His presence. The joy I find in these moments cannot be equaled by anyone or anything on the face of this earth. Hollywood stars with all their fame and fortune cannot buy what I have and I would not trade it for their mansions and lives of luxuries. All of that will come to an end. Those stars are seeking to fill the eternal thirst of their souls with sex, drugs, toys, possessions, fashions and a jet set lifestyle. In the quiet moments of their lives when the cameras fade or in their retirement years when beauty begins to fade what do they have left? Fame is fleeting. Fortunes get spent and evaporate. In the end if they do not have a relationship with Jesus Christ they end up with nothing.

If a person truly makes God their infinite delight they have substance to hang on to in every season of life. When they are young they will discover God is their strength and wisdom. As they grow older and the hair begins to show touches of grey they gain more wisdom and more contentment in Christ. As they age and health limits their mobility they find continued joy and hope in Jesus until they graduate into His presence for eternity. He is more gain than anything this world could lavish on us. All else is rubbish compared to the surpassing value of knowing Christ. [Phil 3:7-8]

I spent a great deal of my life and ministry chasing success and lamenting the lack of it at times. I wanted to do more for God, to serve a growing church, and enjoy living out my dreams as a pastor and an author. In these days I am quite content to serve Faith Community Church in a small town out of the lime light. I am content to write books that few read and fewer even know exist. I am content in Christ. Being a best selling author or the pastor of a large church with a handsome salary package cannot bring happiness. True lasting joy is found in God in alone. [Ps 16:11]

I wish I had learned these lessons a long time ago. I strove in vain chasing after the wind of ministry of success. Now, all of that I can lay aside as I say to the Lord, "I desire nothing on earth but you." That does not mean that I do not have desires. I do desire Faith Community to grow. I do desire to be able to call a student minister on staff with us one day. I do desire to live in a bigger house but none of it do I desire more than God. In fact, I would find contentment in Christ if none of those other things came to pass.

I did not will myself to this place. I did not discipline my thoughts to achieve this love and desire for more of Christ. I am experiencing His work of grace deep within me. He massaged my heart until the hardness became pliable in His hands once again. He has crucified the world to me and I to the world. [Gal 6:14]

So on this morning I start the day with longing in my heart for more of God. I want every crevice of my  soul filled with the radiance of His presence. I want to shout that all of God is more than enough for me. He is more than enough to fill every thirsting. All of them. He satisfies me in the morning and quiets my soul in the night watches with His love. The more I experience the greater my desire to continue this glorious pursuit. Besides Him there is nothing on earth I desire more.

No comments:

Post a Comment