Friday, July 20, 2012

Paradise Revival - Day Six

While feverishly putting some final thoughts on the message for last night, Chris walked into my office about an hour before the service began. He had several things in his hands put I paid little attention. I continued to focus on finishing study for the message. When I finally looked up I noticed a picture full of water and thought Chris must really be thirsty. I could not have been more wrong.

He knelt down on the floor and then it hit me. He had come to wash my feet! At first I resisted thinking of the need to finish the message but with tears in his eyes he said, "Please. It won't take long." I have been a part of several foot washings. By far I prefer to be on washing end and not the receiving the washing end. Nothing can humble you like having someone wash your feet. I wanted to be on the other end. Chris left his family and committed to stay with us fourteen days this pursuit of God and revival. I should have been down on my knees washing his feet.

I took my shoes and socks off  reluctantly and placed my feet on the towel he brought. He washed my feet while reading scripture from [Is 61:1-3]. I sat head bowed saying to myself over and over again, "I am unworthy. I am unworthy UNWORTHY! UNWORTHY!" When he finished I told him I loved him and we hugged.

This set the tone for the night. Every song Chris sang talked about hungering for more of God or desiring to draw closer to Him. They were songs that cultivated an intimate relationship the Father. Chris has been anointed to lead worship. He has been moved to tears in prayer during our times together on multiple occasions. He has encouraged me when I have been down about the lack of decisions or small attendance. Last night felt more relaxed. I am not saying the worship did not have intensity. At least for me I did not feel like I had to strive to get God to breakthrough. Last night felt more like God the Father inviting us to sit at His table and to dine with Him. I received from the Lord last night.

I preached from [Ps 63:1-8] about hungering for more of God. It felt much more like teaching than preaching or at least that was the intent of my heart. I know people listened. God intended the message to be for the church last night. For the first time since the revival began the sermon had no evangelistic emphasis. Last night God drew all of us to a closer walk with Him.

In some ways the message last night was the culmination of what God has been doing in my life for the past three months. I worked diligently to keep my focus on the Lord and wanting more of Him instead of being distracted by the size of the crowd. We have not had a full house since last Sunday morning.
Every night we have new faces. Many of these faithfully attend other churches. Yet the crowds have been small night after night.

There does not seem a great deal of  hunger for God in Paradise. There is a hunger for a plethora of other things but not for God. Only God can create this in the hearts of people. Only God can turn the hearts of people to Himself. No matter how hard or long I preach I can't do that. No matter how passionately Chris sings He cannot do that. No matter how many nights we meet together none of us can make people desire more of God.

I do not know if one person responded to the invitation to make the pursuit of knowing God a life long quest. I came from the platform and sat on the front row bowing my head in prayer for the remainder of the service. I did not look up one time choosing to behold God in my own heart. The cry of my heart is to know more and more of Him. The desire of my heart is to behold Him in the sanctuary in power and glory. I have tasted and seen the Father move in power and I have been in services where I felt the weight of His glory settle in. I can never be satisfied with less.

The life long quest to know more and more of God is like the quest to reach the summit of Mount Everest at 29,029 feet. Only climbing the summit of God will not take an average of four days. It will take a life time and we will never attain the summit. There will always be more of God to discover and to explore. Knowing more of Him should be all of our relentless pursuits.

We thirst and hunger for things and experiences in this life. My prayer last night included everyone in that room hungering and thirsting for more of God above all. Not sports. Not possessions. Not more money. We have to thirst for the living God above all. If we do, true revival will have begun in all of us.

I think the people are tired. I know I am. It has been a chore every day juggling my schedule. In the midst of all of it God has been so faithful to guide me in what to preach. Everyday at some point He weighs a scripture on my mind. I have not had to struggle for one single message. They have come through prayer and resting in Christ.

I am unsure as to how long we will continue to meet. We are scheduled to go through all of next week as well. I know we will go through Sunday. I yearn for God to breakthrough. To date it has not happened on a broad scale. I know God has worked each night in the hearts of individuals. There is so much more to be done.

The grip of Satan has not been broken on this community. Apathy in believers remains high. There is so much more work to be done. Yesterday, Chris and I talked about all we can do is keep praying, keep singing and keep preaching. So that is what we intend to do. We will meet again and trust God to do more in our midst. I have tasted and seen real revival. I will not be satisfied until the Almighty comes and Shakes this City.


No comments:

Post a Comment