Saturday, August 17, 2013

Trusting God to Move Mountains

Do you have any mountains standing in your way? I have several. Facing a mountain of any sorts is challenging and can cripple faith if the right focus is not maintained. I have lived long enough to know that there are always going to be some type of mountains for us to conquer.

Some mountains come early in life. As we become adults we face different mountains and in our retirement years the mountains may take on a different form. One mountain we all face is our own mortality. We do not get to choose how or when this will take place unless we take matters into our own hands.

Few ever contemplate when they are young in good health that one day they will die. Few think about things like alzheimer, cancer, leukemia, tumors, diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease when they are young. We know from experience these diseases take people all the time. We are all mortal.  Even the person in the best of shape with a clean bill of health will die one day. This is the plight of the human race.

One day last week one of the boys asked me about my age. I am nearly forty-seven. They wanted to know if I would be alive in a certain amount of years. I did some quick mathematics and discovered I would be around 96 if I lived that long. It dawned on me, I have most likely lived over half of my life and not accomplished near as much as I would like.

I have books to write. I am three quarters of the way finished with the rough draft of my next book, Weeping For a Night. I have three other books in the back of mind that need to be written. The Glorious Pursuit, Courage to be Uncommon, and a book about the Seminole revival back in 2010.

This church must grow and become more firmly established. We must grow in numbers and in spiritual maturity. We have land to buy one day and facilities to build. We also have other churches to plant all over the world.

The hospital in Honduras still needs tens of thousand of dollars to be paid off in full. I still long to see revival come to this land. I have more revivals and camps to preach.

I have a house to trust God to pay off. I have needs only the Lord knows. I have a wife who needs healing and strength to get through each day. I have four boys who will go to college but we do not know how the tuition will be paid.

Mountains everywhere I look. My time is running out to trust God to move each of these. I know I will not be around forever and neither will you. I must redeem the time I have left. That could be a few years or decades. Only God knows for sure. In whatever time God allows each of us to have will we trust him to move our mountains.

Truly I say to, whoever says to this mountain, "Be taken up and cast into the sea," and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him. Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them and they will be granted you. [Mark 11:23-24]

There is much more to trust God to do. MUCH MORE! How will you live out your remaining days? Will you pilfer through life leaving no legacy of faith? Will you coward under the shadow of the mountains you face? Will you rise up in true faith and believe God to move your mountains?

Mountains do not move by wishful thinking and vain imagination. Mountains move by the sovereign hand of God in response to confident, fervent, and relentless praying. Mountains are moved when men and women believe God has a different future, another preferred ending to the story, and something he wills to take place. Mountains are moved by relentless praying. Mountains are moved when we do not entertain doubt but believe that what God has moved us to ask him for will come to pass.

We all face different mountains. Yours are different than mine. How will you end your days. Will you shrink back in unbelief or step up to the faith challenge. History is filled with unanswered prayers and with destinies God did not prefer because his people would not pray. They refused to believe God to move their mountains and they died on the wrong side. On the other hand history is also filled with stories of men and women who not only believed God to move mountains, they believed God for the impossible and saw the impossible turn into reality. They defied the naysayers of their day and stood in resolved faith. Hudson Taylor and Lottie Moon believed God for souls in China. George Mueller believed God to rescue thousands of orphans. George Whitfield believed for spiritual awakening.

That is what we must do today. We must believe God to move the mountains. For me none is bigger than believing God to rescue this hell bound nation we call the United States from our defiant sin and apathy in the church. I believe God to send another nation wide revival where believers are repentant and where spiritual awakening takes place again. That and building Faith Community Church would be my ark to leave behind at the end of my days.

I want to trust God to move each of these mountains. In fact, that has become a new "motto" for me and Faith Community Church. We must keep trusting God to move mountains in our personal lives, in our family, in our churches, and in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment