Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Secret Place

We all need a secret place reserved to meet with God. I have had several over the years. In east Texas it was my prayer room converted office for years or in my living room on Evans Gann Road. Later it became my office at FBC Paradise. A few years later it changed to a different office at FBC Seminole. Later it change to an abandoned upstairs Sunday School class room where I moved a desk and chair and met with God in private. There was also my living room on NW Ave B.

Today my secret place is this small home office on Runaway Bay Drive. It is early on Saturday morning. I can hear Brenda breathing as she enjoys the last few hours of sleep after another busy work week. Yet in this secret place it seems like I am a world away. In this sacred place I meet with God. He speaks to me. He convicts of sin. He gives refuge. He encourages my soul in the day of distress. In this secret place he communes with me. We have a standing appointment and our times together are a delight to my parched soul.

I have found an oasis in God in the desert of my circumstances. Time spent with him in this secret place is reviving. Outside this room confusion reigns and trials abound. While inside this place, my soul is at peace and content in the presence of the One who holds all things in his hands. The winds may howl, the waves may pound, and the heat may oppress but through it all God is faithful. In this place I rest my weary soul. In this place the roots of my faith grow deep and strong.

Strength is summoned in this secret place to face the challenges of the day. Peace is given abundantly at times when peace should not exist. Hope floats here when hope should sink to the bottom of the ocean. Guidance is offered here. Burdens are lifted here. Inspiration is given here. All of this and more are found abundantly when I am locked away with my God in the secret place. There is no place like this on the face of the earth.

Over the years my secret place has changed numerous times. What has not changed is the presence of God. O that is what I am after. I am in red hot pursuit of the God who longs to be longed for. I am on a relentless chase to draw nearer and nearer to him. I am seeking the One who yearns to be found.

But when you pray, go to your private room, shut the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. [Matt 6:6]

No comments:

Post a Comment