Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Deeper

I approached you like a child approaching a pool,
Yet you are more than pool more like an ocean,
I come like an eager student ready to be schooled,
Awed by your vastness and all you've set in motion,
I know I have played in safe waters far too shallow,
Safe and secure where my feet can touch the floor,
You want me to come deeper - more deeply to hallow,
You and your infinite worth - you are so much more,
Than my mind can conceive - or my words can express,
You are deeper than my experience is able to explain,
You are broader than my heart can take in and fully digest,
Your magnitude this world cannot ever control or contain,
Yet you summon insignificant me to come out deeper,
To launch further into you experiencing joy - peace galore,
To relentlessly pursue a fellowship and communion sweeter,
To swim deeper in you than I have ever dared to swim before.

(Inspired by a prayer of John Wesley to be more consecrated to God.)

No comments:

Post a Comment