Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sacred Calling

I was only eighteen when the Lord first invaded my thoughts about His call on my life to preach. I rejected His promptings for three months. I had my excuses. I sure did not see myself as preacher material and close to three decades later I still don't. All I know is God set me apart for the sacred calling of preaching His word.

I have preached before crowds of over a thousand and to groups of less than a dozen. I have stood on foreign soil and proclaimed the truth of scripture as well as behind pulpits all over this nation. I have never doubted the sacred calling.

In preaching I have experienced some of the highest of highs and walked out of worship services tearfully low. I have watched the masses respond to God on their faces at the altar and I have preached my heart out to barren altars. Through it all the sacred call of God on my life has persisted.

I did not choose to preach. I was chosen. I did embark on a career in ministry. I was handpicked by God on a Sunday night in east Texas as an eighteen year old teenager sitting in Denman Avenue Baptist Church. I did not surrender for another three months but I remember that night as when God chose me.

It was on July 4, 1985 while at youth camp I could resist no longer. I gave my life to preach not knowing what all that would entail. Now three decades later I know more than ever preaching is what I was born to do. I am not the brightest, most eloquent, or most charismatic preacher. I am sincere and I do believe the message of the Bible for help in my own life and for those who listen.

I did not choose this sacred calling, it was chosen for me. In the same way I have not chosen the path my ministry has taken. Nor can I determine the future. I only know I have a sacred calling. It is a high and noble calling. Higher and more noble than any other profession on the earth. What I do matters for eternity. I may never see all the fruit in this lifetime but I do know there is fruit because God's word does not return void. I have preached that word for close to thirty years. With God's strength and enabling I hope to preach for another thirty years.

God's word is inexhaustible. The person of God is unexplainable. The glory of God is indescribable. I have but this short life to live out this sacred calling. Thank you God for choosing me. This is not a burden to bear but a privilege to share. Thank you for hand picking me for your sacred calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment