Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Eight Glorious Hours

On my way home from the mountains I stopped and spent the night with a dear friend and saw several other precious friends. On Sunday afternoon while waiting for my host to fly back into town I went out on the back porch of some other friend's house for some prayer. I had eight of the most wonderful glorious hours on that back porch.

First, God met with me. He showed up and spoke to me. He moved in my soul in ways I could never put into words. I can't explain it but I just know God was there with me. He spoke through His word. That took up part of the time. The more God spoke the more I began to write things down fast and furiously. Soon I felt prompted to share the truth in a Bible study later that evening. Several people were coming over later for an old fashioned prayer meeting. I had not planned on a Bible study but what God spoke to my heart was too good not to be shared with others.

While finishing my studies three people made their way to the back porch late afternoon. I spent the next couple of hours visiting with people from the past I love. Slowly others showed up and drifted out on the back porch. We broke open the bread of life around 7:30 p.m. There were not many us gathered around that table on the porch but God was with us. I know God spoke to those gathered. It thrills my soul even to be writing about this.

Next, we prayed. Man did we ever pray. Hungry and thirsty souls cried out to God. Tears flowed freely. Hearts were renewed and revived. Sins were repented. Like an old song goes, "Heaven came down and glory filled my soul." That about sums of that evening on the back porch.

Even while we were praying others, who heard I was in town, came over. A few others came later on. We sat around laughing, visiting, and catching up on the latest with our families and lives. My heart was full of love, a sense of the presence of God, and contentment. There were no big crowds or church buildings. It reminded me of what Acts 2:42-47 must have looked like.

When I finally did leave that back porch to go to my host's home for rest, I realized I had been on that back porch for eight glorious hours. Hours alone with God. Hours with friends. And time spent in feasting on the word of God and in fervent prayer. What a time we had. I praise the Lord for those eight glorious hours. Even now I yearn for more encounters with God just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment