Monday, November 19, 2012

The Peace of God

I am sitting in my favorite spot at our rent house. I am on the back porch with a makeshift desk and wide open fields before my eyes. The wind is blowing gently making the temperature outside perfect. Overhead the skies are blue with a faint cloud here and there. Today it feels like Paradise in Paradise.

I have just spent the last hour or so praying and seeking God. I have felt His peace out here. Every time I make my way to this back porch I sense God's peace. None of my troubles have changed. In fact, some of them have increased. Still God has given me peace back here. I can hear the faint rustling of the trees in the wind. Earlier I saw a couple of butterflies. In the distance I can hear the echo of cars bustling by on the highway. There is peace in my soul as I sit in this lawn chair. To my left I can see a rose bush with roses still in bloom though we are nearing Thanksgiving. There is still a little green left in the grass though most of has faded into that tannish brown speaking of the coming winter months. In the midst of all this I am enjoying God's peace.

Last night we gathered for our prayer meeting. Instead of listing a long list of requests all I could do was give thanks. I thanked God for the chairs we all sat in and for the facilities He has provided for us to rent. I thanked God for Eddie and his family and the ministry he has in leading us in worship. I thanked God for Melanie and her family and the ministry she has with children. I thanked God for the office I have. I thanked God for relationships that have been forged over the course of the last year and a half. I thanked God for His word that gives us strength, comfort, direction, counsel, and rebuke.

Today I thank God for His peace. Sitting back here my troubles have faded. They do not loom large in my head. I am reminded of how big our God is. Able to handle everything that comes our way. I am thankful for His continuous provision for my family. I am thankful that we have not gone without one day of this journey. I am thankful that my family is under one roof and I no longer live in an r/v and they no longer live with a church member. I am thankful that the boys all made it through football season without being injured.

Yes, today I have God's peace. "Be anxious for nothing but with prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." [Phil 4:6-7] It is that very peace that has settled over me as I have sat with Him on this back porch. Life is good back here. His mercies are new every morning. His compassions do not fail.

I am thankful for a tranquil mind and soul as I write this. I am thankful that His peace has calmed my inner man. His peace will carry me through the remainder of the day and into the night watches. Like sentries guarding the gates of my mind and soul peace stands watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment