Thursday, November 15, 2012

Out of the Boat - What Now?

Many years ago I committed my life to following Jesus anywhere at anytime and to do anything. That decision has been costly to Brenda and I as well as our boys.

It always appears exciting when God calls me to follow Him out of the boat. I love believing Him for impossible things but I have noticed a pattern. Though taking those initial steps out of the boat to stand on the water can be frightening that is easy compared to maintaining faith. Just because you get out of the boat does not mean the storm calms, the trials go away, and you do not face distractions.

It was exciting to get out of the boat two years ago to believe God to raise the money for the hospital in Honduras. Two years later I feel the grind and frustration of how slowly the money has come in. In a few weeks I will travel to Seminole to attempt a 100 mile bike ride. That also seemed exciting when planned but now in the middle of training it is not near so exciting. It is had work. Starting a church seemed exciting in the beginning but a year and a half later the trials continue to swell and engulf my faith. It has been harder in someways than I first imagined. Progress we made. I no longer have to get up early with the boys to set things up.

Many of you find yourselves in the same place. You trusted and obeyed God into some risky stuff. You are now out of the boat and things have not gone according to plan. Doubts arise as you nervously look around you and you feel like going under. What now?

Simple. Focus on Jesus and keep trusting. Jesus bid Peter to come out of the boat in Matthew 14. Keep looking to Him and trust Him. When we stepped out of the safe and familiar boat of FBC Seminole we knew we would be taking a significant reduction in pay. We stepped out anyway. Sure enough the financial trials came. As we have kept looking to Jesus and trusting Him the financial provision has continued to come as well. We have not gone under. Like the ravens bringing Elijah food at the brook Cherith, God has also sent us provision in our mail box.

It feels like I have lived much of the past two decades out of the boat. Remember in the Matthew 14 story that was where Jesus was. I want to be where Jesus is and I find Him often out of the boat. Sadly many times I have taken my eyes off the Lord and immediately begun to sink into depression and the like. Each time He has reached out to pull me back up and to rescue me.

For me, yes, I am out of the boat and the question begs itself, "What now?" I respond with I keep gazing at Jesus and trusting Him for victory. It really is that simple. Keep gazing at Jesus and keep trusting Him and His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment