Monday, October 26, 2015

Your Boys Are Lucky

She and I talked in the weight room in between sets. She is a tremendous athlete. She excels at all she does. Her comment surprised me. She said, "You are hard on your boys but your boys are lucky. You care. You support them. My parents never come watch me do anything. I do what I do for my team and my coaches."

I assured her when I see her compete I will support her and even pray for her during competition in the future. Her words lingered long after she left. "Your boys are lucky. You care and you support them." That is very important to Brenda and I. We want to be there cheering on our boys whether they succeed or fail.

It breaks my heart that young athletes compete their hearts out with nobody there to watch them. I remember some little league games I played when my mother had to work and nobody watched me play. I felt all alone especially after the game when other parents hugged their boys and patted them on the back. I stood aside awkwardly waiting for someone to come pick me up or to catch a ride home with a teammate.

Let me state this up front. I know there are parents who go too far. They are over the top. They pay for special coaching, kiss up to coaches, and pour on the praise. They never offer constructive criticism. I do not advocate this. Nor do I support overly critical parents who never praise their kids. They constantly tear their children down breaking their spirit.

Two things we have sought to do with our boys is to tell them we love them and to tell them we are proud of them whether they succeed or fail. We have seen them on both sides of the competition winning some and losing some.

I assured that girl that I will sit in the stands and support her. I got the impression that her parents love her but do not care about her competition.

My boys would not think they are lucky. We run a tight ship in the Edwards home. There is little tolerance for foolishness. We do not demand perfection but we do strive for excellence and obedience to God. This has led to many family talks when things were getting off kilter. There have also been numerous times when I had to apologize to the boys when I did things wrong or came down on them too harshly.

How many students have no one to support them. That is why I continue to go to the weight room at the high school for many of my workouts. God gives me the opportunity to love on students and speak truth to them. When she performs on her athletic stage I will support her. I will cheer for her. I will look for her after the event to pat her on the back. That girl needs to know she is supported and cared for.

Yes, my boys are lucky but with God's help so will this young lady be and other young men and women just like her. God is a more perfect loving Father for her, my boys, you, and me as well. He is a Father who cheers our successes and comforts us in our failures. He is always available. He is always watching. He is always supporting His children. All the redeemed are lucky. No, I don't like that word. We are more than lucky. We are blessed. Blessed to be loved by a perfectly patient Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment