Wednesday, October 21, 2015

No Pain No Gain

Most of us have an aversion to pain. We will do almost anything to avoid it. In fact, we go to the other extreme to build as much comfort into our lives as possible.

I confess I am addicted to pain. I got my first set up weights when I was only twelve years old. I have pumped iron as they say ever since. I used to do it for football and to get stronger. I have long ago given up those dreams. Now I do it for cardio and to stay fit, though you would never tell that by looking at me.

So early this morning, after cooking the boys breakfast, I donned my workout out clothes and went to my home gym in the garage. Before long the sweat started pouring and the pain increased. While doing some leg extensions the burn in my muscles got so intense I thought they would burst out of my skin. Set after set and repetition after repetition  the pain increased. I jumped rope, did leg curls and leg extensions, lat pulls, bicep curls and abdominal work. In the en,d exhausted, I went for a shower. Brenda commented I looked dirty and tired.

Everyone who exercises knows the value of pain producing gain. The runner pushes himself or herself to run a little faster than last time or a little further. The cyclist does the same. The cross fit people push their bodies to extreme levels. Panting though shortness of breath they push through pain to do a little more.

I think this serves as great preparation for life. Life is filed with pain. People get sick. Loved ones die. There are tragedies to endure and survive. There are trials to overcome and obstacles to surmount. Jesus told us this would be the case. John 16:33 (NASB) 
33  "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."

As long as we live on this planet we will experience pain on multiple levels. At 49 my body cannot do what it used to do. While jumping rope last week I tweaked my knee. I felt the pain as I navigated the steps at football stadiums all last weekend. My shoulders ache at night and I find it more difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep. If I stay in the bed too long my right hip hurts so badly I can barely walk the next morning. All of this is part of the plight of living within the confines of the aging human body. It is a small part of the tribulation we all endure as we age. 

There are many other tribulations. You know what they are. Any parent knows the sorrow of raising children and the pain associated with that task. Just yesterday morning one of my boys lied to me in response to a simple question I asked. The evidence sat right before both of us but he chose to lie anyway. Other parents have experienced far worse treatment from their children. How many spouses live under the same roof but no longer share love and emotional warmth. Painful words and memories have driven a wedge between them. Some Christians endure severe persecution. 

There are many painful tribulations in life. There are also nights of weeping to endure. John 16:33 (NASB) 
33  "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."

When I am working out I can will my body to get through the pain. I do mind tricks to get my mind off the pain like counting in five sets of five rather than just counting one through twenty-five when doing that many repetitions. I tell myself I am a machine and machines do not feel pain to get past a difficult exercise. I choose to think about something else rather the pain. 

We can do the same in life. If we wake up daily and remind ourselves with God's strength we can do anything He will help us. Phil 1:21 We can trust God for the resolve to get through the tough days. We can keep pressing on through the pain in life. In the end all the pain will be well worth it when we step into eternity. All the pain will be worth the gain of eternal life through Jesus Christ. You can make it through this day. You can get through the rest of this week. By God's strength you will reach the end of your trials. We have to endure a little pain in life's journey but it will not last forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment