Monday, October 26, 2015

Does Anyone Care

I sat on the couch in her living room listening intently to her words of wisdom. She sat in her chair with no hair and a little knitted hat on her head. She is battling cancer. Her battle has been long and often lonely. Her words penetrated my heart. She commented, "I have been on both sides. I have often been the one who felt the nudging of God to visit, call, or send a card to someone suffering. I did not know what to say so I did not do anything. Now I sit here and nobody calls or comes to visit. You start to wonder if anyone cares. This can lead to deep depression."

I took her every word. I felt shamed for it had been several weeks since I had last visited her. She did not hold a grudge. She did not cast stones in my direction. She did not have to. The Holy Spirit had already begun working. Many faces flashed across my mind. Hurting and lonely people. Some I failed. How many did I let down as they wondered if anyone cared.

Does the church really care about people. Are they worth more than a tally mark on an attendance board or sheet? Are they worth more than a dollar amount on their giving record? Do people really matter? A more pertinent question is do all people matter? Popular people get special attention in times of suffering but obscure people are often easily forgotten. That was not the pattern Jesus modeled in ministry. He ministered to the rich as well as the poor. He touched the outcasts as well as the included. Jesus cared and still cares about people.

John 13:35 (NASB)
35  "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." 


1 Corinthians 12:26 (NASB)
26  And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.




Love for people and compassion should characterize the Christian church. If this is true why do so many people fall through the cracks. Why do so many people wonder if anyone cares about their well being.

This happens with adults, teens and children. If any group of people should care shouldn't it be the church. How many members think the staff get paid to care. The staff is supposed to visit the suffering people. Caring is the professional ministers job. Churches can become cold compassionless communities. They are supposed to be extended families and caring communities.

While lifting weights today, I saw a student with tears in her eyes. I do not know her. I have seen her around but never had a conversation with her. As she sat misty eyed I asked her if everything was okay. She tried to hide the truth and said yes while wiping her eyes. I looked her in the eyes and told her I did not believe her. Our conversation ended there as she left.  Afterwards I talked with her sister. I actually got to speak some words of ministry to her sister and encouragement. I will blog about our conversation later.

You have the God ordained capacity to care about people. You have the Holy Spirit inside you and He produces love in your heart. God has given you the capacity to care. All you have to do is release God's love on those around you.

The God who cares is the God who resides in you and gives you the capacity to care. Release that care and compassion on those around you. Make the visit. Pick up the phone and dial the number. Send a text. Write a letter or a card. Show them you care.


No comments:

Post a Comment