Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Do You Want To Make A Difference?

Do you really want to make a difference? Do you want to use your days to do something significant? Many people say that but wonder how. I want to give you a fool proof way for your life to count for something and to have an impact that reaches further than you can imagine. It all started with a conversation I had yesterday.

A successful businessman stopped by my office. We talked mainly about what God is doing in our lives. What a refreshing conversation. Near the end he said something that grabbed my attention. He told me he and his wife have been saved for 38 years. He recently called the pastor who led them to faith in Christ. That pastor now serves in another state. He called that pastor to tell him that his faithful ministry not only impacted the businessman and his wife but also two generations after them in their children and grandchildren. God used that pastor to impact three generations for all eternity.

If you really want to make a difference in this world share the gospel with lost people. Tell them about the hope and salvation available through Jesus Christ. A youth minister named Eli Bernard did that for me back in 1983 in Lufkin, TX. His faithful witness for Christ impacted not only my life but also my four boys as well.

I wonder if Eli ever wonders if his life made any difference. Over the years I lost contact with Eli. The last I heard he resided in Colorado. His life made a difference for me that will last through eternity. All because Eli had a burden and boldly shared the greatest truth in the world with an insecure, broken and angry teenager.

Think about that. When God uses us to share the gospel with people, and they respond and get saved, that ministry has the potential to impact multiple generations. MULTIPLE GENERATIONS. Wow.

Paul wrote, Romans 1:14-16 (NASB) 
14  I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish.
15  So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.
16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.  


Are we eager to share the gospel? Do we have a burden for those who do not know Christ? The word eager in verse 15 means to be willing and ready. I think of Eli. He could have stayed home that Thursday night with his new bride. He didn't. He went out on a gospel hunt and in that football stadium put me in the crosshairs of his gospel gun. God primed me to hear that message. Jesus changed everything that night. 

In another part of the state of Texas an eighth grade girl made a commitment to get serious about her relationship with Christ and started praying for her future husband. Six years later she and I would meet on the campus of Howard Payne University. God blessed us with four boys all who have trusted Christ for salvation. Taylor, our oldest, called me last week to tell me God used him to lead two young men to Christ at FCA's Fields Of Faith. God used Tanner to lead a friend to Christ back in Seminole during a convert. God also used him to invite a friend named Darian to our church and on a youth retreat. Darian trusted Christ for salvation on a youth retreat at a bonfire a couple of years ago. Adrian preached last Wednesday for our youth group. Tucker recently testified before our whole church about the power of Christ to transform a life. Turner is very outspoken for Jesus and spoke for Him during a recent junior high pep rally. 

Over the years God has allowed me to preach the gospel at youth camps all over the nation, at youth rallies, youth retreats and in church revivals. He has also allowed me to preach that message as the pastor of five different churches.  God worked. God convicted. God opened hearts to the gospel and many have been saved. The gospel message keeps spreading. 

I think of the first person saved at Faith Community Church. His name is Tom. He trusted Christ on September 11, 2011. I recall that blessed day vividly. We have a picture of him getting baptized in the back of the warehouse where we meet for worship. He is more than my friend. He is my brother. I got to baptize his children and step children. in the days that followed.  Now his father in law and mother in law attend our church too. Tom and hjs wife Pam helps with our student ministry. Amazing stuff. 

So I ask you again, do you really want to make a difference with your life. Share the gospel. Tell people about Jesus. Let God use you to change generations for eternity. That makes a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment