Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

Last night I enjoyed one of those surreal moments you would think originated in a Hollywood movie. Three families went out to eat after church and we decided to travel to a neighboring town to watch fireworks in a football stadium since it was July 4th.

The wind blew gently creating a cool evening for us to enjoy the brilliant display of fireworks. Brenda sat to my left and a four- year old boy sat to my right. Patriotic music played in the background as the fireworks lit up the night sky.

I chuckled when I saw the four-year old boy’s face wide eyed with wonder. He had the biggest grin on his face. Each new boom and radiant display brought him new levels of delight. He thrilled with giggles, squeals, and laughter. I honestly do not know which I enjoyed more; him or the fireworks.

The thunderous booms scared Turner who had run off to sit at the top of the stands to view the show. He came scurrying into my lap where he spent the rest of the evening arms wrapped around my neck and head buried in my chest. In that moment I felt as contented as I have ever been simply enjoying my family, friends, the blessings of God, and being a patriot. As the wind blew across my cheeks I sat back and relished the moment. I wanted to drink it all in. Life does not get much better than what I enjoyed last night.

We laughed a great deal together on the drive to the show and laughed without stopping on the way home. The evening played out perfectly. We celebrated our veterans. We sang the Star Spangled Banner. They even played the old song, “I’m Proud to be an American.” My chest swelled with pride as I listened and began to sing along.

On top of all that I reveled in the remembrance that twenty –five years ago last night I surrendered my life to preach at a youth camp in east Texas. The whole evening felt scripted. For days on end it rained in Seminole. The rain stopped on Sunday allowing us to enjoy the show in perfect weather conditions.

Last night I enjoyed one of those experiences that lasts a lifetime. We are a blessed people. God blessed us with freedom but some take it for granted. Last night and today I have not. I am humbled and grateful the Lord allowed me to be born in this country. I am thankful for freedom. I blessed with Brenda and the boys. I am privileged to pastor a great church. I enjoyed a July 4th tradition with family and new friends while thinking about my old friends in Paradise and the annual Clayton July 4th celebration and fireworks show. I will not soon forget the Independence Day of 2010. I hope you enjoyed yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment