Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day Twelve "Life on Fire"

They said to one another, ‘Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us.” [Luke 24:32]

To have a life on fire you have to walk with Jesus day in and day out. It is that simple. Did you catch the testimony of Cleopas and his companion? When Jesus joined their journey and conversation they commented that their hearts burned within them.

The word “burn” can be defined as to set on fire, kindle, and consume. When we take the time to really walk with the Lord He sets our hearts and lives on fire. This results in a flaming soul that is consumed with knowing Him and making Him known to others.

We cannot shortcut our walk with the Lord. Many do and it does not work. How many professing Christians are hollow on the inside? They may go through all the external motions of worship and service but there is no flame on the inside. Again I say you cannot shortcut a personal walk with the Lord if you want to have a life on fire.

The fellowship of burning hearts occurs when a congregation habitually walks with the Lord and allows Him to reveal the truth of Scriptures in their hearts and minds. When Christ reveals Himself and His purposes to a group of people who make walking with Him a high priority, lives will be set aflame.

This is so simple and yet the implications are so profound. A life set on fire needs the daily fuel of walking with the Lord. I am writing this in an isolated cabin located near Palestine, TX. I love this place. I come here two or three times a year to pray, soak up God, and to saturate my mind and heart in scripture and prayer. These days are the highlight of my year spiritually. I am not distracted by television. I am totally alone for hours on end which allows me to give myself to extended times with the Lord. I will be here for two and a half more days.

No matter what I experience here I cannot go back to Seminole on Friday and rest on the experiences here. I have to continue to walk with the Lord day in and day out over the course of a lifetime if I want to have a life on fire. What concerns me equally is ever becoming a cold hearted and dry-eyed preacher. My only hope is to keep walking and talking with the Lord.

I enjoyed my time with the Lord this morning. We enjoyed a beautiful sunrise together. I poured out my soul to Him. I interceded for the church and for our community. I prayed over this book and asked for His inspiration, anointing, and strength to write and make the most of my time in this prayer cabin. Above all that I enjoy my time with Him here. I sit and listen for His voice and relish in the times He reveals the truth of scripture to me. Walking with the Lord is the key to living a life on fire. There are no shortcuts.

Steps to Revival

1. How would describe your walk with the Lord? Is this something you do consistently?

2. When was the last time you had an unhurried time with the Lord?

3. What things do you desperately need to converse with Jesus about today? Take that time to do so now.

4. Set aside some time to go on a prayer walk with the Lord. You may do it around your neighborhood, at a park, or out in the countryside somewhere. Take this time to enjoy the Lord and have Him speak to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment