Friday, July 9, 2010

Day Seventeen "Where God's Glory Dwells"

O Lord, I love the habitation of Your house and the place where Your glory dwells.” [Ps. 26:8]

Do you love to be in God’s presence? Do you crave those times of private devotions as well as times of corporate worship? Are you affections white hot to draw near to God and by faith trust that He is also drawing near to you? [James 4:8]

David loved God. He was not perfect but God says David was a man after His own heart. David also loved God’s dwelling place. Many of us would read this verse and think about the church. We often refer to church as God’s House. This is not what David is referring to.

God says in [Isaiah 66:1] “Heaven is My throne and the earth is my footstool. Where then is the house you could build for Me? And where is the place that I may rest?” God is bigger than any sanctuary. He is bigger than any denomination, any city, state, or nation. He is bigger than this universe.

When David says he loves God’s habitation what that means is that David loves God’s dwelling and abode. God says Heaven is his throne. So let me ask you my original series of questions. Do you love Heaven? Do you long for Heaven because that is where God is?

Try to grasp this? Heaven itself is nothing more than a chair or throne to God. What I am getting at today is God is far more vast than the average Christian thinks. If all of Heaven is but a throne to God, where His honor, weightiness, and splendor resides, is that a place you love and want to be?

It baffles me how many are so mesmerized by the trappings of this world they actually prefer this to Heaven. Keith Green, a prophetic songwriter, once said that earth is but a garbage can compared to what God has in store for the saved. Do you ever get a little homesick for Heaven?

The more I love God the more I want to know Him more and enjoy Him forever. I get frustrated that my earthly body limits my getting to know God more. I get tired and choose rest over seeking. My finite mind cannot grasp the infinity of God no matter how hard I try. I can only see in part like through a glass dimly. If I really want to know God fully I will have to do that in Heaven.

While I am here I will keep pursuing and seeking but to finally realize the desire of my pursuit and seeking I will have wait for the other side of eternity. Do you long for that? I do not desire to leave this life one day sooner than God intends. With each passing day this world holds less and less attraction for me, and the God of heaven lures me to another world. I hope to spend my remaining days loving and enjoying God but know I will not be able to do so to the fullest measure until this mortal puts on immortality. “O God, I love you and your dwelling place. I can’t wait to see it first hand.”

Steps to Revival

1. Spend some time asking God to give you a heart for Heaven and to be in His presence.

2. What excites you most about Heaven?

3. Find a couple of scriptures that talk about Heaven and the glory of the Lord to be found there. Read them and prayerfully meditate on them.

4. In what ways have you shrunk God in your mind and personal worship?

5. What does it mean when God declares there is not a house of worship that can be built that could contain Him?

6. What are the implications of a God of that magnitude to you personally?

No comments:

Post a Comment