Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Family Fun Day

We enjoyed a fun day here at Ruidoso today. We went to Fun Tracks where the boys got to play. They started the fun at the bumper boats. The only two boats in the water were manned by Taylor and Turner. Turner got drenched from the water cannon by his older brother. Brenda and I have not seen Taylor laugh like that in a long time.

Turner would duck his head but take his hand off the throttle leaving him a sitting duck for his older brother. Ever so often he would turn the boat and run only to turn around again in attempt to spray his brother. There were times when he countered Taylor. Taylor outwitted him though and Turner was showered with cold water. They both got off soaking wet but Turner got the worst of it and was shivering at the end.

Next, they went through a maze. Brenda and I were able to walk upstairs to an observation deck to watch all the fun. They went to the same dead end at least five different times. I know they were disoriented and it proved difficult not to help them know which way to go. Finally they discovered the way out. They definitely got their money’s worth.

The real fun began with Turner manning a slow go-cart by himself with one other little boy. The other little boy started in front of Turner and got a head start as the employee had a difficult time getting Turner’s car started. I think the race was ten laps. I did not think there was any chance Turner could catch up. Slowly he began making up ground. With two laps to go he rode right on the tail of the other car. As they went through the garage, Turner made his move like a skilled NASCAR driver. He passed the other boy and held him off to the end. My chest swelled with pride when Turner crossed the finish line in first place.

You know as competitive as I am how proud I was that he even competed. It thrilled me to see him pass the other boy and take the lead. Turner bounded out of his car and ran to the gate where he received high fives and congratulations. I glanced over to the family of the other little boy and you could tell they didn’t like losing even though they were smiling. Turner’s win had me jazzed.

The last activity of the day included a difficult putt-putt golf course. Nobody else was keeping score except Taylor and I. We were neck and neck until the fourteenth hole. I held a slim two shot lead before my golfing nightmare. The fourteenth hole had a huge drop off near the hole. If you putted too hard you went off the ledge and down the slope. When my nightmare ended I posted a fourteen on that hole. My hole in one on the next hole did little to help. Taylor remained consistent and beat me by a dozen strokes. Taylor exulted in beating his dad while I held my frustration in. I hate losing anything including putt-putt golf.

We enjoyed ourselves immensely. We built family memories that many years from now will come back to light when we look at the pictures. I will not forget my fourteen and Taylor delighting in winning. I will long remember Turner snatching victory from that other little boy at the last minute.

We came back to our lodging for a lunch of burgers and macaroni and cheese. It satisfied. Tonight we are going to a dinner and a show before packing up to head home in the morning. This has been a good time for the Edwards family.

I have tried to slow down though I want to capture all of this in blogs. Though I have gotten up early every morning I have also made myself take a nap too. I have sought to act leisurely each morning. We have not rushed eating a brunch mid morning. These days have had that perfect balance of fun and tourist stuff mixed with a good portion of down time, reading, napping, and watching movies together as a family. We have had a great deal of fun. I wish Tanner and Tucker had been here. They are still in Paradise enjoying their friends. We will see them on Saturday when we enjoy more fun at family camp.

Now what did I learn from today. I learned to never give up as I watched Turner battle from behind to clench a victory at the last minute. [Gal 6:9] Many times I have wanted to give up when things looked out of hand. Turner’s race reminds me to keep battling, to keep working, and to keep trusting.

I learned a lesson in humility. I carved out a several stroke lead over Taylor in the putt-putt golf game. I watched that lead vanish as I posted the fourteen on the fourteenth hole. Pride goes before the fall and a haughty spirit before destruction. God is opposed to pride. [I Pet 5:4] [James 4:6] God is opposed to the proud. I thought I had the game sewn up but experienced something very different. There are lessons to be learned even on family fun days.

No comments:

Post a Comment