Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Not Ashamed

I watched him get out of his car and struggle to make it  into the waiting room. We were both having our vehicles serviced. He waked with two canes and every step appeared excruciatingly painful for him. When he found his seat he asked if I could help him down. He took hold of my hand for support as he sank into his chair. He commented, "I need a hip replacement. I've already had both knees replaced but still need a hip replacement."

With that we engaged in a conversation. I had a book sitting to my side but decided I would not read today. I found out the man named Jim lived in Weatherford but had not been home in some time. Turns out he was helping his daughter deal with two tragedies.

He talked about how he would see his deceased loved ones again. He then said he knew he would see them again in heaven. I saw my open door. I asked how he knew for certain he would see them again in heaven. How he knew he would be in heaven. He said because of the blood of Jesus he was right with God. I smiled and told him I was a preacher.

Then he replied with conviction, "I am not ashamed to be a child of God and tell others even if they do not want to hear it." That resonated with me. I knew right then it would be the subject of a blog.

I am not ashamed. I love that truth. It reminds me of a verse.

Romans 1:16 (ESV)
16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.


The word ashamed means not to feel shame. May we never feel shame for the gospel and for our Lord Jesus. He is everything. He is the only hope for the world. He is the only way to salvation and a right relationship with God. Like Jim, I feel no shame either. I am humbled and proud to be a child of God all because of the grace and shed blood of Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment