Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Ministry Of Prayer

The longer I minister the more I realize one of our greatest ministries is prayer. Brenda and I visited with a long time friend last night. Before parting company our friend said to me, "Give me something profound and pray for me before I leave."

I had nothing profound on my mind at the moment. I searched through the files of my mind and recalled a scripture which I quoted. Then we bowed to pray. We love our friend. To pray for such a dear one was no trouble at all. It was an honor.

I poured my heart out in fervent intercession. I lifted this dear one before the throne of grace to find help and comfort in difficult times of need.

It is a true blessing to intercede for others. It is an added blessing when you get to do this in person with them by your side. I recall so many times praying with and for people in hospitals, in their homes, in moments of crisis, before ball games, and at the end of worship services. I have emailed and texted prayers. There is something all together different when you pray with them in person.

The ministry of prayer is tender. Those are precious moments. It is at the very essence of a shepherd's love for a flock. The ministry is prayer can transport any situation from the natural to the supernatural and from the temporal to the eternal.

So look for those opportunities to pray with people. I am sure they abound. Who needs you to pray for them and with them today? In this way you are the love, comfort, hands, and heart of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment