Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Encourage

encourage |inˈkərijverb [with objectgive support, confidence, or hope to (someone): we were encouraged by the success of this venture | (as adjective encouraged:  I feel much encouraged.
Everybody needs encouragement. Children. Teenagers. Adults. Everybody. Leaders. Followers. Athletes. Coaches. Students. Teachers. Law Enforcement officers, First Responders. Nurses. Waitresses. Cooks. Receptionists. Mechanics. Hose cleaners. Etc. 
I received some encouragement today from a lady who just recently started reading these posts. Her words were like wind beneath my wings. So much so, in fact, even after posting two other articles just moments ago I had to write another one. 
We all need to encourage others as well as to be encouraged. We live in very discouraging times. Encouragement is not always offered. People are sure quick to offer criticism. People are not so generous with encouragement. 
A couple of months ago I was watching a summer league basketball game Tucker played in. I watched one of his teammates make a few mistakes. I could tell he got down on himself. He had no family there to support him. I did not think much more about it more engrossed with Tucker's play. 
I ran into that young man who had not played so well in the hall way. In that moment God whispered in my spirit to talk to that young man and encourage him. I called him by name and called him away from the crowd. He looked like I was about to get onto to him. I said, "You know what your only problem is. You do not believe in yourself. I think  you are a great athlete. Go out there and play with confidence." He looked shocked. He asked, "You really think I am a great athlete?" I affirmed I had always thought that about him. 
The whole conversation did not last longer than 30 seconds. I pray the impact on his young impressionable mind lasts much longer. 
Whom needs your encouragement today? Whom has God brought to your mind or brought across your path to encourage?  Look for the forgotten. The neglected. The unappreciated. Look for the ones most people take for granted that always receive encouragement. You may just make someone's day. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (ESV) 11  Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment