Monday, August 7, 2017

The Faith Jounrney

The faith journey is both thrilling and filled with adventure. There is the mystery of the unknown and the glorious ways God intervenes to glorify His name. I do not fully understand it but God has called me to a faith journey. He continually leads me down the path less traveled. I come to expect and welcome this as His will over the years. I am no longer surprised when He leads me down a different road than the masses.

He has often led me down lonely paths where others are not called to go. He tests both my faith and resolve time and time again. Many times I failed those tests as I gave into fear and doubt. Many times I have passed them and testified of the powerful ways God has demonstrated His faithfulness to my family.

As we have endured in ministry the tests have not gotten easier. Like a person advancing through graduate level courses, so the tests have become harder. It must be this way if my faith is going to get stronger. I cannot rely on the testimonies of only what God did in the past. I have to experience Him at work in the present and offer fresh testimonies of the various ways He comes through over and over again.

So many of our testimonies are the ways God has provided for our family. While it would be much easier to not have to depend on Him as we have over the past two and a half decades, I know we would have missed some amazing things God has done. We would have missed the opportunities to discover His word is really true and He is active and listening to our prayers. He answers those prayers in tangible ways.

For example, before leaving for Kermit all I had was enough money to pay for the tent and the hotel rooms. This $5,000 gift to pay for these things came after months of praying. I did not know how I would pay, not only for my meals, but also for the Aten's meals as well. It was another test of faith.

Before I ever left Wise County I had breakfast with a man. When we left he handed me an envelope with over $400 in it. Miracle number one. That paid for meals and gas. God was not done. My hosts for the Thursday and Friday nights before going to Kermit not only gave me a place to stay for two nights. They also provided me with meals while I remained with them. Miracle number two. A visit with some other friends ended with a lady shoving some money into my shirt pocket as I walked out the door. Miracle number three. Again, this money and the money I received earlier were what we used to eat meals and to provide the gas I needed.

God orchestrated all of this. He cold have provided it all well in advance but He gets more glory by the way He worked all this. I never told anyone I did not have money for meals. Not even Brenda. She scourged some money and put it an evenlope. On a sticky note she wrote, "I'm sorry it is not much. It is all we had." I determined then I would not use a penny of that money but would trust God for each meal, each tank of gas and whatever else we needed. Before leaving my host home they gave me a check for $2,500. I preached in Odessa on Sunday morning before the Kermit meetings began that night. I was not supposed to preach anywhere that morning. They invited me to preach on Wednesday morning the day before I left for west Texas. They gave me a check for $250 that morning. Another miracle.

I spent the night with friends in Odessa who provided me a place to sleep and bought me three meals. More of God's provision.

In Kermit our hotel served a full breakfast each morning. More provision. Two families in Kermit provided some meals for us. Each time I thanked God for His provision never telling anyone our need. I trusted God for each day and each day God came through. Toward the end of the week as the money began running low Miguel and Misti Urguidi provided us lunch and dinner that day. Another step on the faith journey and another adventure.

I determined before ever going to Kermit that I would give the Atens all the love offering since they are in full time music evangelism. I did receive one check specifically made out to me for $500. More of God's provision. If you are keeping track that makes $2,750 in checks I received to help support Brenda and I personally. God knew. Due to poor offerings back at our church I was not able to receive any salary for the month of July and only half of my salary for the month of June. God provided. He came through again and again.

Now, once I again I stand on this stage to praise His name for His faithfulness. I give Him the glory. On this faith journey I have seen Him come through time and time again. I rejoice that I get to brag on Him. I get to encourage others that He can be trusted. I get to write these messages and preach about how faithful He is.

The faith journey is not easy. The tests before me are as big as ever but then again so is God. He is not concerned when He looks at our mountains. No. These are not challenging to Him in the least. If I truly trust Him wholly relying on Him they will not be challenging to me either. I am thankful that I get to walk this faith journey. I am thankful God works in my life to provide.

I do not know what He will do next. I do not know what direction He will take me. He is faithful. I still trust Him. I am still beholding His faithfulness.

1 Thessalonians 5:24 (ESV)
24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Hebrews 11:1 (ESV)
1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:6 (ESV)
6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.



No comments:

Post a Comment